have a couple quirks with my sti

This is a discussion on have a couple quirks with my sti within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I recently bought an 04 STI, and have noticed a few weird things. Alright, the major thing is the car's ...

have a couple quirks with my sti

I recently bought an 04 STI, and have noticed a few weird things. Alright, the major thing is the car's idle. Is the idle supposed to be unstable? My idle bounces from about 400-1k rpms all the time. I can't figure out why its doing this, and I took it to a shop and asked them, but they said it was normal. I don't think it is so I'm asking here. The car is stock with the exception of a turbo timer, Injen Intake, and a BOV. Could any of these be the reason for the unstable idle? No, I didn't put these mods on the car, they were already there.

Another thing is the car came with some aftermarket gauges. A boost gauge, oil temp, and oil pressure. What are acceptable ranges for these to be at? Also what is stock boost? Mine I beleive is around 13-14 pounds of boost at full throttle. Is that stock?

Thanks and hopefully someone can help me answer some of my questions. I hope this is the right forum to put this, if not please put it in the right one.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by karis119
    I recently bought an 04 STI, and have noticed a few weird things. Alright, the major thing is the car's idle. Is the idle supposed to be unstable? My idle bounces from about 400-1k rpms all the time. I can't figure out why its doing this, and I took it to a shop and asked them, but they said it was normal. I don't think it is so I'm asking here. The car is stock with the exception of a turbo timer, Injen Intake, and a BOV. Could any of these be the reason for the unstable idle? No, I didn't put these mods on the car, they were already there.

Another thing is the car came with some aftermarket gauges. A boost gauge, oil temp, and oil pressure. What are acceptable ranges for these to be at? Also what is stock boost? Mine I beleive is around 13-14 pounds of boost at full throttle. Is that stock?

Thanks and hopefully someone can help me answer some of my questions. I hope this is the right forum to put this, if not please put it in the right one.

All/Any of the mods (intake, bov, timer) could contribute to the idle thing. Is the idle doing that with the A/C on? it may just be the AC just cycling causing it to do that too.

you are probably in the stock range as far as boost is on the STI -- i cant remember stock boost on the STI offhand for some reason. What gear are you getting that reading in?

WRX's/Sti tend to idle rough

However the BOV and intake could be causing idle issues.

The BOV, intake and turbotimer are unecessary. Take off the BOV and intake. You could leave the tubro timer but its not needed since the turbos are oil and water cooled.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

Quote Originally Posted by cavallino333
    However the BOV and intake could be causing idle issues.
    especially if one is leaking and not sealing properly.

yea from what I've read I don't need either of those. Where would I go to find the stock parts? seeing as how I don't have them.

keep an eye on the personal for sale section in the forum and ebay also can have those things

even just an SPT intake might be better than the intake you have now.

Post a wanted thread, for a stock bpv, and maybe stock or like grayson said an spt intake. The bopv could definetly be contributing to rough idle, but sti's don't exactly idle perfectly stable.
    2004 WRX Sti Cobb Stage 2
    GO COUGS!!!

you find that stuff on ebay all the time.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

Stock WRX boost is 11 or 12 I think so your probably right when you say 14. BOV and Intake aren't needed at all. If you need the parts right away and don't want to wait, swing by your local Subaru dealer. You'll pay more, but atleast you'll have the right parts.
    It's all about rally racing, nothing more.
    On second thought maybe its all about Rally Racing and Auto-X

'06 Steel Gray WRX (Stock)

Quote Originally Posted by karis119

WRX/STi's tend to idle rough. You can sit there and feel waves. Sometimes its nothing, then u can feel it move. BUT, the BOV can cause rich conditions which you guessed it lead to rough idles, pausing between shifts, etc. The Intake can lean the car out a bit (it doesnt cancel out the BOV). Take them both off. Like people said, check the for sale threads, ebay, or your dealer.

STi stock boost = 14.5psi (depends on weather, temperature, road angle, etc)
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

thank you so much for the quick replies, I'm gonna look on ebay/craigslist for the stock parts. You guys have been very helpful, and when I get the stock parts on I'll let you know if they solve the problem

Good luck
    2004 WRX Sti Cobb Stage 2
    GO COUGS!!!