A/F Ratio Gauge

This is a discussion on A/F Ratio Gauge within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Okay, well, I had put this as one big jumble, but I figured if I broke it up into chunks, ...

Exclamation A/F Ratio Gauge

Okay, well, I had put this as one big jumble, but I figured if I broke it up into chunks, those who know more about one thing will be able to give input about something specific to each thread.

To start are the most important details: I have a 2002 WRX, No performance mods, had since Apr/May of '06 with 64,000 miles and I now have approx. 70,500 on the clock.

If you haven't read my other post(s), basically, there's oil all over my turbo and one of my coil packs isn't fully connected. But then....

My car came with an aftermarket boost gauge and air/fuel ratio gage on the A-Pillar. I hate it because, for one, it's got 3 spots and there's only two gauges, and it's a little ricer for me since I don't have any mods yet. (Don't flame me, I personally feel it's too ricey for my own taste. I'm not knocking anyone else cuz I really do like when people add their own flare to their cars.) But yeah, so since I've had the car the A/F gauge has always been on the top level of "Rich". It never bothered me because the backlight on the gauge itself has always been off, and the indicator light has never moved at all except when I lock the doors and all of the indicator lights go on for about half a second. But the other day, I was just going to class and the indicator light started moving to the left, or "Lean" side! I think the day was a little colder since I'm in Utah for school but live in south Texas. It was also raining. Could that have anything to do with it? Could it be indicating something with the car? Why would it suddenly work once and not before or since then? Is it possible it works and my car really has been rich this whole time? Or would it start in the middle and move towards "Rich" as the car warmed up?

Also, I'm worried because no CEL has ever come on since I've had the car. With all these issues, I would imagine the car would be screaming codes my way.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

No one can help me at all?????

Hi, Your car may be running a little rich if you have a coil pack that is not firing, sending unburned fuel out the exhaust. If the connector vibrated together making a good connection or (possibly because of the moisture in the air) then firing the spark plug, then the a/f guage might indicate the mixture going leaner. First take care of the coil pack issue then go from there.
    Last edited by 06grayrex; 09-26-2006 at 05:18 AM.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #666
    Stage 2

its not ricy for u to have a boost guage and a/f. I mean u do have a turbo for ur boost guage and ur monitoring ur air and fuel ratio.
    2005 Ubaru Impreza WRX Sedan Crystal Grey Metallic
    Mods: In my profile
    http://www.myspace.com/scottycruz

Grayrex, yeah, I guess that's all I can do right? It's all good, I just wanted to try and figure things out before I went into a shop letting them tell me exactly what's wrong, ya know?

And scotts05, yeah, I just meant it looks retarded cuz I have three gauges: one boost gauge behind my steering wheel that's not hooked up, the A/F one that probably isn't even set up right, the boost gauge that works, and then the empty spot. You're right about the other stuff though.