Leak somewhere??

This is a discussion on Leak somewhere?? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Okay, well, I had put this as one big jumble, but I figured if I broke it up into chunks, ...

Exclamation Leak somewhere??

Okay, well, I had put this as one big jumble, but I figured if I broke it up into chunks, those who know more about one thing will be able to give input about something specific to each thread.

To start are the most important details: I have a 2002 WRX, No performance mods, had since Apr/May of '06 with 64,000 miles and I now have approx. 70,500 on the clock.

About a week ago I was driving and I smelled burning oil. Not good, obviously. I was about a mile from home so I eased her home and checked out the carnage. What I found was a turbo that seemed pretty pasted in oil on the outside, predominately (sp?) on the right side, again if you're looking from the front of the engine bay. I checked out the uppipe and it didn't seem to be leaking from that way, I tried the trick with the water bottle with soap and water and saw no bubbles. I looked for smoke out of the tail pipe and found nothing, several times over the past week. The only info I have is that I would get that screeching under heavy boost that people described as a downpipe/uppipe gasket leak. I've had the car since April/May and for the longest time thought it was just the intake or turbo or something, until about July when I read that it's most likely a problem. I didn't get it fixed because I thought it was just something that affected performance instead of the health of the car and I was so effin broke. I'm hitting myself on the head now because I didn't find a way to get on top of it. Anyhow, could that have something to do with the oil? What else could it be? How bad of a shape am I in? It's misfiring pretty bad, or at least what I think is misfiring. I haven't hardly driven it, just to class a few times, and I always stay under boost. But I am very concerned, and need to get it fixed ASAP....even though I can't seem to find anyone here who does work on turbos under my extended warranty. I guess another question I have is if that could be what's causing my terrible idle, and HUGE shake and rattle whenever I cut off the car, even after letting it cool down. My gas mileage, even without boosting, is awful. I've used over a quarter a tank in about a week of driving a total of maybe 40 miles or so.

Thanks for any help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Any advice would help!

Check your spark plugs... My car was misfireing in one of my cylinders, & I had oil & sluge on one of my SP. Might not have a good seal somewhere? Just my .02

Hey, yeah I was hoping to check things out before I had to take it in....but it's too late. It's in the shop as we speak. Hopefully it's just the coil packs and/or wires, but we'll see. Whatever it is I just want it to be covered under the extended warranty!

Thanks for the input though. It's a little discouraging to see tons of input from the members for everyone else's posts but not mine. I appreciate your suggestion, and any others that anyone might still have. Maybe when I get it back you'll be right about the seal lol. Thanks again.

Question

Ok, well heres the only advice for you that i have which also concers me. one day i started my car and let it warm up, I started driving and smelled burning oil, so i pulled over and i seen a little smoke comming out of the hood so i poped it and seen a little smoke comming from behing the ic but i couldn't quite figure it out..... the smoke dissipated and i never seen it again. that was about a month ago, since i have had my car.... maybe 3 months, I have noticed that it almost feels like the car is sputtering a slight bit when boosting, never thought that this would be linked..... it's my first turbo car.... Anyways to make a longer story short today i was just noseing around the engine compartment and reached my hand around the back of the ic and onto the y pipe, when i pulled my hand back it had some oil on it. after reading some threads i've come to the conclusion that some oil in the y pipe is gonna happen from blow by and thats normal, nothin to trip about i bought a oil catch can from ebay for it today, but somehow that oil came out of the y pipe and on the outside, so im guessing that my y pipe is possibly cracked and im gonna replace that to, i bought a metal one off ebay a little while ago, which i hear is much better than the plastic one, that would cause the boost leak and the oil dripping on the exhaust manifold would cause the burning oil smell......... anyone else got some idea's that would be nice, lookin for any imput i can get