Coil Pack Concern
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Coil Pack Concern within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Okay, well, I had put this as one big jumble, but I figured if I broke it up into chunks, ...

Coil Pack Concern

Okay, well, I had put this as one big jumble, but I figured if I broke it up into chunks, those who know more about one thing will be able to give input about something specific to each thread.

To start are the most important details: I have a 2002 WRX, No performance mods, had since Apr/May of '06 with 64,000 miles and I now have approx. 70,500 on the clock.

First off is my coil pack, or packs. The other day I changed my spark plugs. Everything went fine until the very end when I was putting the coil packs back on and I noticed that one of them had a broken tab where the clip for the wires goes. Because of this, they couldn't be secured tight onto the pack itself. My car had been idling extremely rough before, and while most of the plugs came out decent looking, that same plug with the broken coil pack (the upper right one if you're staring into the engine bay from the front of the car - what number cylinder would that be?) was pretty trashed. I had a sheet printed out of what certain things will do to a spark plug, but none of them really matched up, except, perhaps, of when you are running lean. And while I could have sworn that all the packs were fine before taking out the plugs and packs, I guess it's possible I just overlooked it the first time around. I made sure all the plugs were gapped - at .29 if I remember right - to the right proportions, and they were the right ones - NGK Iridium, platinum tipped, the right number but I can't recall it off the top of my head. I need to replace the bad pack, but should I also do the others as well? How tough of a job is it and how much $$ am I looking at? And how can I tell a coil pack is bad or is getting there?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Please someone! I need help desperately!

HI, in the sevice manual it should be able to tell you how to test the coil pack with a DVOM ( digital volt ohlm meter). It will tell you a certain range of resistance that coil pack should have between certain pins to test the primary and secondary windings. Since each cylinder has it's own coil, if one goes bad them most likely the other are still fine. If you test the coil and the is with in specs and it's just the a tab that secures the coil plug connector to the coil then you could try to hold it in place whatever you think might keep it in place ie zip tie????? Other wise the dealer would be the next option. Hope this helps a little. Take care.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #666
    Stage 2

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.