car shaking on the highway

This is a discussion on car shaking on the highway within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; ok so recently everytime im on the highway my 02 wrx's steering wheel just starts shaking when i get to ...

car shaking on the highway

ok so recently everytime im on the highway my 02 wrx's steering wheel just starts shaking when i get to about 75 or over. The tires arent completely bald but I can definitely use new tires for the winter... can my bald tires be the reason my cars shaking? Anyone have any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

When was the last time you got your wheels balanced? It sounds like a weight may have been knocked off.

I had the same problem on my old Toyota Camry. It would shake violently at higher speeds. I took it in, got the wheels balanced, and never had the problem again.

50,000 miles and ive never had them balanced. how much does something like that cost? im about to get 4 new tires for the winter... is this something that gets done when i get new tires or i should i get as well?

Tire places always do it when they put on new tires. So you can probably just wait it out.
    2004 WRX Sti Cobb Stage 2
    GO COUGS!!!

ok sounds good i guess ill do that.

on another note... does anyone have any ideas what kind of tires should i get. I want good all weather tires that im not paying top price on since ill probably be selling it in a year. im from ct so we get some snow here and i need something for the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by BangWRX
    ok sounds good i guess ill do that.

on another note... does anyone have any ideas what kind of tires should i get. I want good all weather tires that im not paying top price on since ill probably be selling it in a year. im from ct so we get some snow here and i need something for the winter.
    Doing a search is always a good way to get started on answering a question like this because it gets asked so often.

But, it seems that the general consensus is that Continental Extreme Contact all-season tires are very good.

thanks for the advice - im going to do a search on those tires. I figured i was on the subject so id just ask, but ill do a search now too.