Engine shut off while driving...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Engine shut off while driving... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I'm at a stoplight, don't launch hard. I get to about 15 mph and gun it. Shift into 2nd, ...

Red face Engine shut off while driving...

So I'm at a stoplight, don't launch hard. I get to about 15 mph and gun it. Shift into 2nd, loud KNOCK sound, like something hard striking against glass, and I'm thinking it was my keys on the dash, so this may not even be part of the issue. Note I only heard the sound ONCE. So it's not engine knocking constantly. I remain on it for another 5 seconds since it doesn't do anything else strange. My girlfriends asks if I heard the knock. I did. I didn't really think about it until a few seconds afterwards.

I take a right turn, go half a block, take a left turn into a parking lot, put in the clutch to shift into 1st from 2nd, and my car shuts itself off. I notice this because my power steering (and the lights) just turn off. I hold in the clutch and turn it back on (while rolling) and park.

I go into the movie (it's dark out, no flashlight or tools, and it acted fine once I started it back up). Come out 2 hours later. Everything is fine. No CEL or anything strange. Acts completely normal. Now I'm thinking the loud knock could've been my keys hitting the dash during the 1-2 shift...but maybe it's something else. The thing that really worries me is it turning off while driving, and no CEL or any other odd behavior after the fact. I'll keep an eye on it tomorrow on my way to work and keep my fingers crossed (it's my DD).

ANY idea what I should be looking/listening for? Has this happened to anyone else? I definately don't want to be driving down the highway and have it shut off on me again. Lack of power steering could've been deadly on the highway. Thanks for your help.

EDIT: No mods. Completely stock 2006 STI.
    Last edited by n00bulat0l2; 09-18-2006 at 07:46 PM.
    2006 STI OBP - SOLD
    2007 True Red Mazda 3 Hatchback
    Bye bye performance
    Hello MONEY! How I missed you!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I know I had this problem for a while after I got my lightweight flywheel installed, but if you're completely stock then that's not it...

I would think that you probably lost a clamp and have something loose in the engine bay. Take a look around and check all the connections for everything. Keep an eye and ear out for anything unusual and get back to us...
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

Well no problems driving to work this morning. Looked under the hood...nothing seemed strange. Although I must admit I'm a mechanical n00b and don't know what to look for besides the obvious...I'm just going to hope that it was a 1 time thing and not an indication of anything more serious. I'll probably take it into the dealership for a quick look-over just in case.
    2006 STI OBP - SOLD
    2007 True Red Mazda 3 Hatchback
    Bye bye performance
    Hello MONEY! How I missed you!

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    That sounds like a PITA. You'll be fine steering on the highway, its only hard when your going slow. I hope it doesn't happen again but if it does remember the brakes will be hard to use after the first press.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.