06 tr smoking when cold startup
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 06 tr smoking when cold startup within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; like the title says my 06 tr smokes white smoke for a few seconds on a cold startup after the ...

06 tr smoking when cold startup

like the title says my 06 tr smokes white smoke for a few seconds on a cold startup after the car has sat overnight. sometimes its a puff sometimes its a stream for a couple seconds.
    then its gone not to return untill the car has sat overnight or whatnot.
    mods are
    invidia dp(catted)
    cobb ap stage 2 base and realtime
    spt catback installed at subaru.
    and I recently changed oil to a synthetic blend. not fully synth. 5w30

any ideas? should I take off my ap and dp and take it to the dealership?
    WRB 06 TR wrx wing, wrx foglights, Invidia catted downpipe, AP,
    Stage 2 map, SPT catback, STi oem springs, Katrboy shortshifter
    lots of audio gear too.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    My 06 does it to 7700 miles and bone stock, just noticed it yesterday I'll have to keep an eye on it. Zero oil consumption and no noticable power loss. Temptures in the mid 70's on start up.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

ok well that makes me feel a bit better. I do not have any oil consumption either. and am just at 10k
    lots of audio gear too.

It could just be built up moisture overnight that is burning off in the morning, especially if it only happens for a few seconds.
    Car-less

I checked the oil and the dipstick indicates that it is overfull. can this cause this?
    today it didnt smoke on startup. but after 5 mins of driving I stopped at a redlight and it smoked like crazy then after I took off it didnt do it again.
    do our cars not like synthetic oils?
    lots of audio gear too.

I Support ClubWRX
    I believe our car takes half of a quart (I forget if it takes 4 or 5 but it should be 3.5 or 4.5 instead of 4/5).

Having it slightly overfilled should not cause any smoke as their is plenty of room in the oil pan. Smoke on cold start is usually an idication of bad seals in the valvetrain, but I highly doubt that is the case on new motors.

For the record I'm on Dino oil.

with a new filter, will take 4.2 to 4.3 quarts of oil, give or take, depends on how much u drain out.

I drained some out then refilled to exactly on full.
    noticed no decrease in oil level. no performance loos or anything out of the ordinary.
    I am starting to see a trend it seems to do it if the car sits in the cold.
    it will smoke a little on idle then when I leave it will burp out a puff then its gone untill I let the car sit cold. but strange thing, today , it did it in the am but not again the rest of the day.
    the exhaust tip does not feel or look oily. the smoke seems to have a tinge of blue to it.
    the xkhaust really smells bad too when it is smoking. not a gas smell or rottem egg just bad. like exhaust fumes multiplied.
    do you think my accessport stage 2 could be the issue? could my invidia cat be bad?
    should I return the car to stock and see what happens? (major pita though. I'd like to avoid that)
    lots of audio gear too.

I Support ClubWRX
    The cat wouldnt cause it to smoke, but signs of a bad cat is an rotten egg smell when the car is under a load.

Bad valve seals are a sign of cold start smoke, but like I said before highly unlikely on a low mile car.

It could just be considsation puffing out that's been in the tail pipe overnight. I know I dont drive my car everyday so I am lead to believe that's what I'm experiance. Keep an eye on oil level and coolant level for a few weeks.

its perfectly normal to see some white smoke on a cold start. its just motly moisture. just remember. blue smoke = oil and black smoke = fuel. white smoke is fine
    vf22 Stage IIII wagon of DOOM

smoke is kind of a grey color. it isnt condensation because it doesnt dissapate quickly. you can tell the difference between the two.
    I am just wigged out due to the car having so few miles on it. and it doesnt get raced or beat up in any way.
    I get on it occasionally here and there but dont abuse the car in any way.
    do you think my mods could have caused this?
    I may just put it back to stock and see how it runs.
    lots of audio gear too.

bump.

still getting the smoking. I just changed back to dino oil and we will see what happens.
    after this I will go back to stock to see if my mods are causing this.
    I have a hard time believing a downpipe and a AP would cause this on a car with 10k miles.
    if anyone has any ideas Id like to hear them.
    lots of audio gear too.

*update*

well I still get the smoke but its inconsistant. some days it will some will not.
    I took the intercooler off and no oil whatsoever in there or in the tubes. pcv valve check out. pulled plugs and they look fine. If I had a ring land issue wouldnt I get oil on the plugs, or at least evidence of it?

maybe I have a bad turbo seal? if the plugs are not in bad shape then is it safe to assume the engine is ok? and the oil is an external issue(turbo)?
    some one please help I am going insane. I guess at this point it is going to have to go to the dealer. I suppose its time to put the gloves on
    lots of audio gear too.

I have the same issue with my 02 wagon with 30k on it. but along with thegrey smoke that smells like rich exhaust I feel apower loss wen boosting. I'm set to 18 psi but this mornin I hit bout 8 psi and it sounded and felt like I hit rev limiter in third so I shifted to 4th and didn't boost the rest of the way to wrk. what is up with my baby? :-(

Most performance maps are likely to run a little rich at idle. My Stage 2 WRX does the exact same thing, and I think it's completely normal. I give you credit for pulling the plugs, but I don't think it was something you needed to do.
    2006 WRX WRB Wagon
    Stage 2 Cobb catless DP and Borla Hush CBE
    *Total Loss*

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.