FYI: Radiator hose of the Impreza melts

This is a discussion on FYI: Radiator hose of the Impreza melts within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi everyone. This tale may sound basic to some you but it happened to me. I own a 2003 WRX ...

Wink FYI: Radiator hose of the Impreza melts

Hi everyone. This tale may sound basic to some you but it happened to me.
    I own a 2003 WRX Impreza. Recently the top radiator hose had a hole open on its side from friction and heat caused by the bar that the holds the hood up. The bar gets all the heat from the radiator. This hose has a protector (which it is not as long as the hose). In my car's case, the protector slid to the right and left the hose unprotected from this friction. I am very surprised such a terrible design on this magnificent car. Just an FYI, check your hose!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

This must be a bugeye specific problem, on my 04 the hood-prop is a good 2 inches clear of the radiator hose. It does get pretty hot, but certainly not to the point of melting a radiator hose. Strange that yours moves around enough to rub a hole in the hose. I say bend it until it no longer makes contact.