Stutter or stall under hard acceleration? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Stutter or stall under hard acceleration? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Dude, check for boost leaks before ripping your car apart. That was my problem. I noticed a big split in ...

Dude, check for boost leaks before ripping your car apart. That was my problem. I noticed a big split in my intercooler hose that I had not previously seen when i checked it the first time. I just noticed it out of nowhere while pulling my plugs(i felt stupid for a sec). Your fuel pump is not bad. Fuel issues are seperate from boost. Nothing in the fuel system would give you low boost. The air (boost) is escaping under high rpm due to pressure(reason why your boosting low and misfiring in high rpm ). You have a boost leak somewhere. I dont remember you saying you checked boost leaks. All you gotta do is find it. and youll be good as new. Mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Problem Fixed!

It was the fuel pump sock. It was covered in a greasy slimy goo which prevented the pump from pulling enough fuel into the engine when it needed it. It was also the reason why my car showed these problems and stalled after cornering the first time when i was only 1/8 tank full (and subsequently when I was gettnig close to E). Upon inspection of the fuel tank by shining a flash light into the tank, it looked very clean. the sock was the only thing goobered up. Of an interesting note, there are two fuel level gauge floats. One on each side of the car. when I took the covering off of the side that didn't have the fuel pump, there was a mouse nest up there! It found some green shag carpeting from somewhere and decided to live above my fuel tank! This apparently happened when the previous owner had the car because last time I checked, I don't have any green shag carpeting around. hehe. The wire to the level sensor had the insulation all chewed away (just one of the wires) so I wrapped some electrical tape and tinned the wire. just in case. Plus it started to chew at the rubber tubing. Fortunatly, nothing needed to be replaced.

Pic 1: Dirty sluge covered fuel pump sock:

Pic 2: different angle of Dirty sluge covered fuel pump sock:

pic 3: clean fuel pump sock - used CRC MAF cleaner (Pep Boys) and sprayed it down - figured this stuff wasn't too harsh for the sock:

pic 4: different angle of clean fuel pump sock after spraying down:

My car is finally back to normal! I can once again make the majority of cars out look like turtles. And yes, to everyone that doesn't think a stock WRX feels fast, It feels fast to me and I'm happy with it (for now).
    Last edited by AgentH; 01-02-2008 at 08:45 PM.
    2nd WRX...
    More than meets the eye.

dude... those pics are HUGE
    2048x1536 is rediculous

one word, resize

Quote Originally Posted by $lick Rick
    dude... those pics are HUGE
    2048x1536 is rediculous

one word, resize

Better?
    2nd WRX...
    More than meets the eye.

SO much better.

where's that tutorial you found for pulling the fuel pump?

Stupid mice...

I was reading this entire thread for like 10 minutes, and was about to offer some advice, but at least you got it all figured out. I woulda never imagined the previous owner of your car had the "rodent mod" going on

Sweet deal though, nothing's better than the feeling that your car is back to normal.

Sweet deal though, nothing's better than the feeling that your car is back to normal.
    No doubt! I'm really glad. Now I can focus on the important stuff here: going faster haha.

where's that tutorial you found for pulling the fuel pump?
    I thought I had it linked. You can go to scoobymods and do a search for "fuel pump". One of the guys replaced his pump on a 2.5RS and I think the trap door to the fuel tank is in the same spot. For wagon owners (me), you need to take the spare cover off, then the carpeted covering above the spare cover (3 snaps) followed by the two carped covered foam pieces on the sides of the spare (1 snap) followed by the foam piece under the carpeted covering that you took off (the one with the 3 snaps). That one's a bit of a pain. Once you have that removed, two trap doors will be revealed. The one on the right is the one to the fuel pump and the one on the left is a fuel level float (location of rodent mod). I called the dealer up and asked if I should replace the gasket when I do this and they said no I do not. It's a pretty thick rubber gasket, but you should still be careful. the pump is connected to the lid and it takes some patience to take it out and get it in again. I'd check that tutorial out for extra pointers. I talked to my local mechanic and he suggested that a higher flowing pump is pointless. He said the majority of the fuel goes to the return back into the tank. But I don't really know if a higher flowing pump is worth it or not. He was wrong when he told me it wasn't going to be the sock.
    2nd WRX...
    More than meets the eye.

Awesome!! It's fixed. I remember when you posted the fuel filter swap; sample of fuel from inside. Damn, that was nasty.

Cheers
    2008 Evo X GSR. Custom tuned, Works panel filter, Intercooler pipe upgrade, TBE.

Has the problem come back? I was having the same problem, so I too cleaned my f.p. sock. A few weeks later same thing happened, so I cleaned it again. It keeps going away for a while then coming back. Any suggestions???

Notes:
    Tank is clean
    Only seems to do it when car has been at operating temp. for a while
    Below 1/2 tank it happens
    Boost never drops...

My question is what kind of gas are you using? do you always use the samebrand?
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    It must be on the Subway diet. Did you name it Jared?

Has the problem come back?
    No, not yet, and never again hopefully.

I have heard rumors of similar problems occurring because of the ethanol they put in the gas at most stations now. Supposedly it breaks up sediment buildup that was a result of many years of filling up with regular gas. It could be all BS, but it might help explain why I had so much gunk on that sock. Or i could have just gotten a bad tank of gas.

Have you replaced your fuel filter too? Not that that's a cause of the sock getting gunked up, I'm just reminding you.

I bet the problem will go away soon. Unless the gas station keeps pouring sludge into your car.
    2nd WRX...
    More than meets the eye.

I'm going to try to clean my sock tomorrow. I seem to be having this same problem on my 02. I really hope this helps. Great posts by the way, extremely helpful, expecially if it fixes my problem.

Did this start happening under hard cornering? My WRX started doing something similar but only under hard cornering...

Nope. Just moderate to high throttle inputs. Are you sure it's only when you're cornering?
    2nd WRX...
    More than meets the eye.

yeah it was only under hard cornering. we rented a fuel pressure tested and the pump was at 100% duty cycle with only 10psi of pressure. took the fuel pump out and the sock was filthy so cleaned it and put it back in and its been fine so far.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast