Do you think I need to change my oil? Drain interval question.

This is a discussion on Do you think I need to change my oil? Drain interval question. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm running Mobile 1 synth with Wix filter. Since the majority of my driving is less than 10 minutes (to/from ...

Do you think I need to change my oil? Drain interval question.

I'm running Mobile 1 synth with Wix filter. Since the majority of my driving is less than 10 minutes (to/from work), I'm changing my oil and filter every 3 months. I have not gone over 2000 miles between oil changes.

So this summer I've been riding my bike a lot. The WRX is due to have the oil changed this month. Looking at the trip meter, I've only gone a bit over 600 miles since the last oil change.

Do you think I should still change the oil? Or do you think I can wait till my next "scheduled" oil change in December?
    J
    2004 WRX PSM Wagon
    Mesh hood scoop and grille

2005 Kawasaki Ti 636

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by burgerboy
    I'm running Mobile 1 synth with Wix filter. Since the majority of my driving is less than 10 minutes (to/from work), I'm changing my oil and filter every 3 months. I have not gone over 2000 miles between oil changes.

So this summer I've been riding my bike a lot. The WRX is due to have the oil changed this month. Looking at the trip meter, I've only gone a bit over 600 miles since the last oil change.

Do you think I should still change the oil? Or do you think I can wait till my next "scheduled" oil change in December?
    You could wait till Dec. However if your are really worried about it just change it, it can't hurt.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

Oil gets acidic over time and the contaminants within the oil (trace amounts of water, gasoline, etc.) can be detrimental to the engine. I don't think this is as much of a problem with synthetic oil as it is with conventional oil, however, oil changes are cheap insurance. I live very close to my job and with gas prices what they are here I don't do unnecessary driving very much. I still change my oil at 4 months with Mobil 1 oil and filter, regardless of miles driven( as in, even if I drove less than 3K in that time).
    Last edited by TheFNG; 09-05-2006 at 01:12 AM.

The more expensive route is to send it in for analysis at some place like Blackstone labs and have them analyze the properties of the oil, the cheap insurance is to just change it. The former will give you more confidence in the future of the condition of your oil for your type of driving.