2002 WRX with a little white smoke out the Turbbo

This is a discussion on 2002 WRX with a little white smoke out the Turbbo within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, My 2002 stock except the exhaust is showing a little white smoke out the turbo intake when the ...

2002 WRX with a little white smoke out the Turbbo

Hey guys,
    My 2002 stock except the exhaust is showing a little white smoke out the turbo intake when the engine is in idle. How long do these stock turbos last and how do you know when one is worn out? An older guy owned the car before me and mostly highway miles. I bought with 73K and now has about 80K. What do you guys think????

Bikini in High Point, NC

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Bikini
    exhaust is showing a little white smoke out the turbo intake when the engine is in idle.
    I am not sure I understand, do you mean white smoke out of the tailpipe?!?

If so, are you sure its not simply condensation?!? Does it occur only after startup? White smoke is usually a sign of water burning off.
    2008 Evo X GSR. Custom tuned, Works panel filter, Intercooler pipe upgrade, TBE.

coolant smells sweet from the ethelene glycol in the antifreeze, if the smoke it puts out is just condensation it will not smell. remember that when you burn hydrocarbons the hydrogen reacts with oxygen forming water along with all the other by products of combustion CO2, CO, NOx, ect.

luke
    I just don't get this drifting thing, why would I spend money to put a car in the wall for a bunch of stupid 16 year olds with dreams of fast and Furious?

Grip or Die!

Blobeye Syndicate #17

This is a smoke oIut of the hood. the turbo intake........

it will smoke some when sitting with the engine in idle. ?????? What do you think?

Bikini

mine sometimes puts out little white puffs of vapor untill the engine heats up all the exhaust components and boils off any excess moisture. keep an eye on your coolant level if you suspect thats what it is.

if you dont want to worry get a low mileage used turbo and keep it ready to swap incase yours lets go so you wont have downtime, or perhaps gather the items necessary for stage 4 and do it all at once.

luke
    I just don't get this drifting thing, why would I spend money to put a car in the wall for a bunch of stupid 16 year olds with dreams of fast and Furious?

Grip or Die!

Blobeye Syndicate #17