Cruise control stopped working

This is a discussion on Cruise control stopped working within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello, new to the site and the WRX world. While driving home after picking up the "new" ride the cruise ...

Cruise control stopped working

Hello, new to the site and the WRX world.
    While driving home after picking up the "new" ride the cruise stopped working ( worked fine for 400 miles ). It just cut off in the middle of TX. The light on the switch will illuminate but once I engage the "Set" it never catches and the orange LED shuts off. It will not come back on until I cycle the key off-on but it has never worked since.
    I notice the module sits directly above the turbo plus there is no cover or heat deflector over mine. I ran the search function with nothing specific to my model. I did discover that the 02-03 models do not have a cruise indicator in the gauge cluster that would indicate a problem.
    Background, the CEL is on due to broken wires to the front or pre-cat O2. I have seen where the 04+ models will flash the CC inidcator in addition to the CEL when an O2 problem is detected? Thanks in advance for any help!
    2005 Legacy GT - stock for now
    1991 Galant VR4 - Sold
    2002 WRX Wagon - Sold

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

There was a recall for the cruise control a while back. Check to see if your WRX was one of those that needed to be fixed.
    An escalator can never break. It can only become stairs. You would never see an ‘Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order’ sign, just ‘Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience.’ - Mitch Hedberg

Update

After buying a service CD for my vehicle and using the CC troubleshooting guide I figured it out.
    The actuator module ( part by the turbo with the cable that attaches to the throttle linkage ) had an open signal ( should have been about 5 ohms ) when checking between terminal #4 and #1. This is the magnetic clutch circuit that engages the stepper motor to control the thottle linkage. Bought a new/used module from jimtweet ( great seller BTW ) and viola I am "cruising" again! The missing turbo heat shield most likely heat soaked the old unit and fried the winding. Got a Cobb shield installed last week.
    Only hiccup was adding a second rubber grommet by accident and not getting a solid connection. Once I got that going things were great.
    If you have not done so or don't want to try and use the online manual GET ONE if you are mechanically inclined. One of the best manuals I have come across, either foreign or domestic. Mine was $10 shipped.
    2005 Legacy GT - stock for now
    1991 Galant VR4 - Sold
    2002 WRX Wagon - Sold