Clutch Replacment

This is a discussion on Clutch Replacment within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So a long story short... My clutch is going on my 02 rex... so i stopped by the dealer to ...

Clutch Replacment

So a long story short... My clutch is going on my 02 rex... so i stopped by the dealer to get a quote yesterday..... there saying betwwen 1500 and 2 grand..... for a clutch job... a got a quote from a local transmisison shop for 800... but my question was the dealer said that the flywheel has to be replaced when u do a clutch replacment.. are they full of poo or what? The guy at the tranny shop told me he should be able to resurface it... unless there wasnt enough material then obiviously it would have to be replaced....

Whats your guys and ladies opinion... Thanks
    former suby driver... current saab driver

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Flywheel should be able to be resurfaced. An aftermarket clutch will also be comparable to the OEM price. You may want to consider looking at that as well. The real killer obviously is the labor. I can't the installation costing 2k, but 1k perhaps with labor and parts. I picked up an Exedy Sport clutch kit online for ~450. That was all the parts they needed. I happend to have blown tranny so not sure what labor would cost.

Get an estimate from each on the amount of hours for labor if you provide parts.. Start from there and compare $/hr and amount of hours they estimate. I would guess about 6-8hrs of labor? Just guessing.

Look here for aftermarket clutches and flywheels and PM if you want a price on anything. The Spec stage 2+ get's my vote for slightly-moded-daily-driver-all-purpose clutch. The ACT Streetlite (14 lb) flywheel is an excellent choice that is easy to live with day-to-day. The install shouldn't be more than six hours for a mechanic that knows what they are doing. At (a high) $75/hour labor rate that's only $450 max, plus parts (with my choices that's $730ish--I can do better if you PM me) so a total below $1200 for a good clutch kit.