Enging Starts revs, then dies

This is a discussion on Enging Starts revs, then dies within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 2002 WRX Wagon with TBE, Recirculating BOV, and HElix Catted DP and Greddy Evo2 CBE. I left ...

Question Enging Starts revs, then dies

I have a 2002 WRX Wagon with TBE, Recirculating BOV, and HElix Catted DP and Greddy Evo2 CBE. I left my car sit with very little gas(1/8 or less) for 2 days, then get in and go to start it and it starts revs like normal then dies. Whats causing this? I can keep it goin by pumping the gas pedal, but it sounds like **** and backfires and ****.
    Helix Catted DP, Greddy EVO2 CBE, Greddy Type-S BOV

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Helix Uppipe also

Your out of gas...
    Mini Superman with four legs
    2006 Midnight Black Pearl WRX

not out of gas i put gas into it, im at a 1/4 tank now, its something else I think soething to do with the fuel, but not sure

check for boost leaks

I'm having this same problem, except on a near-stock 2002 sedan w/114,000 miles. My only mods are a gutted oem uppipe (been in for years), and replaced the turbo with a stock one 1 month / 1000 miles ago with no problems. I didn't let the car sit for days, although it did sit for 1 night at about 1/8 tank just before this problem started.

It'll sit there and idle forever, but when you begin to rev, it dies.

The fuel filter was overdue for a change, so I tried that first - no help.

Next I pulled the sparkplugs and they look fine.

I think it's acting a little like the way a car acts when the plug wires are dead.... except of course the WRX doesn't have plug wires. Could it be those coils?
    2002 WRX Sedan - 2000 Mazda Miata
    Do us all a favor: work on learning how to drive your car before adding more power. Pretty please.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewag12
    I have a 2002 WRX Wagon with TBE, Recirculating BOV, and HElix Catted DP and Greddy Evo2 CBE. I left my car sit with very little gas(1/8 or less) for 2 days, then get in and go to start it and it starts revs like normal then dies. Whats causing this? I can keep it goin by pumping the gas pedal, but it sounds like **** and backfires and ****.

Could leaving the tank empty build up some condensation and thus you have water in your tank? Just a through I'd put a GOOD full tank of prem. gas in there and change fuel filter.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

try disconnecting the battery.. pump the brake, then reconnect.
    EVO III 16g'd wagon
    stock tranny goin strong
    .. already ready for a bigger turbo
    - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chanwahyaoh
    Sometimes after I go poo, I just blank out and mindlessly continue my upward wipe all the way up the small of my back and end up smearing brown all over myself. Just kidding. That sucks about your laundry though...

UPDATE: tried le wagon's suggestion, and tried cleaning the MAF sensor. Both no help.

Note: I got a CEL first thing when I first had this problem, and it came right back on after the reset. Unfortunately I don't have a code puller and the car couldn't get to autozone to get it pulled.
    Last edited by AutoXJunkie; 08-27-2006 at 06:07 PM.
    Do us all a favor: work on learning how to drive your car before adding more power. Pretty please.

Update/observations:

If I roll onto the throttle -very slowly- in neutral, it'll rev quite high. If you stab the throttle or put it in gear, it dies right away.

AND... if you let it warm up for a long time, doing a number of slow rolls onto the throttle, the problem goes away, until the car is cold again.

I couldn't find any disconnected hoses. Right now I'm still suspecting maybe one or more of the coils are going bad. Any other possibilities?

Warmed it up and took it to Autozone. Got these three codes:

P1301 - Fire due to increased exhaust temperature
    P0545 - Exhaust gas temperature sensor circuit low input
    P1544 - High exhaust temperature detected

Now, at autozone their code pulled called P1301 "Manufacturer Control Ignition System or Misfire", not a fire. And I certainly see no evidence of a fire in my engine bay. Could this be a typo in the OBD Code Listing?

Doing a search, looks like a lot of people having these codes were calling it a bad sender and using it as an excuse to do the 2.2 ohm resistor mod. So at $1.04, I decided to try it.

For the time being, it appears to have fixed me up, although a puff of smoke on startup now has me worried that maybe the sensor wasn't bad, and that there really WAS a fire in my uppipe- leaky turbo perhaps.

I'm going to see how it behaves in the morning, before I start thinking about removing the turbo....

turns out it was a clogged fuel line from condensation, the rex is runnin great now, thanks for all yuor help tho

turns out it was a clogged fuel line from condensation, the rex is runnin great now, thanks for all yuor help tho
    Doing a search, looks like a lot of people having these codes were calling it a bad sender and using it as an excuse to do the 2.2 ohm resistor mod. So at $1.04, I decided to try it.
    Can you guys post some links for these fixes? A problem just arised today on mine. I have an 02 with 55k & cobb stg1. Runs fines, starts fine, and feels normal until I push it 7/10ths to WOT boost or no boost. The engine will stutter if I push it somewhat hard and then stall if i push it any harder and it will feel like I stabbed the breaks for a split second. I just started searching for an answer and this is the first thread I came across. I changed my fuel filter at around 45k, so I'm pretty sure it isn't that. If I knew what fuel line to check and how to do it, i would. Have you guys heard of a similar problem??? Thanks!!
    2nd WRX...
    More than meets the eye.