Oil Consumption Problem?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Oil Consumption Problem? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I noticed my car was a quart shy today. I'm at 14,000 miles. I've been changing oil by the book, ...

Oil Consumption Problem?

I noticed my car was a quart shy today.
    I'm at 14,000 miles. I've been changing oil by the book, break-in change then 7500 miles then 15000 miles, so on and so forth.
    I've never had a car use a quart between changes this early in the life of the car. So I'm kind of pissed off at Subaru.
    Do you think I have a problem here or should I chill the heck out?
    FUNKED1
    GO PETTER & TOMMI!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I have been thinking about making a poll on this subject. I use about a half quart evry 3K to 4K miles ... every oil change. I switched to Mobil 1 5w30 at ~19K. I think my oil useage is a bit on the skimpy side. I now have ~29K miles. Most of my other vehicles' oil usage has been about 1 qt. every oil change ... maybe a bit more. Just enough that you get the oil changed vs. add a qt.

My WRX is not a commute vehicle & most of the miles have been on long hauls vs. others I have had. I do not think your situation is a problem nor do I think mine is. Both cars may actually use about the same amount if driven identically for a while ... which won't happen. The point is, day to day use affects oil consumption & it is not just an engine wear thing. My $.02

FUNKED1: You really should be changing your oil more often than every 7500 miles, especially if the dealership is changing your oil for you. That's over twice the recommended milage between oil changes.
    Deliberating enclaves of like-minded people are often a breeding ground for extreme movements - Cass Sunstein

I Support ClubWRX
    Put mine in the never changed a drop column.

Also put me in the 7500 miles?!?!? column.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

Do you guys have any input about the oil consumption? Do you think 1 qt in 6500 miles is excessive or am I having a cow over nothing?

About oil change intervals:
    7500 miles is what the owner's manual says.
    I use Mobil1 which should extend oil life. With that oil I'd think the recommended oil change intervals would be more than sufficient.
    Last edited by FUNKED1; 12-10-2002 at 11:01 PM.
    FUNKED1
    GO PETTER & TOMMI!!!

Originally posted by PsiStar
    I have been thinking about making a poll on this subject. I use about a half quart evry 3K to 4K miles ... every oil change. I switched to Mobil 1 5w30 at ~19K. I think my oil useage is a bit on the skimpy side. I now have ~29K miles. Most of my other vehicles' oil usage has been about 1 qt. every oil change ... maybe a bit more. Just enough that you get the oil changed vs. add a qt.

My WRX is not a commute vehicle & most of the miles have been on long hauls vs. others I have had. I do not think your situation is a problem nor do I think mine is. Both cars may actually use about the same amount if driven identically for a while ... which won't happen. The point is, day to day use affects oil consumption & it is not just an engine wear thing. My $.02
    Thx, sounds like I'm probably overreacting.
    It's just that my Hondas never used any oil at all at this mileage!
    FUNKED1
    GO PETTER & TOMMI!!!

After working at a Subaru dealer for a while, I can assure you that the owner's manual doesn't say 7500 miles. It says 3 months/3000 or 3750 miles. You're 2002 WRX service manual can be found here.

Either way, you can never go wrong changing your oil more frequently. If you don't change it enough, you get problems.

EDIT: Chris....whatever are you talking about?
    Deliberating enclaves of like-minded people are often a breeding ground for extreme movements - Cass Sunstein

Originally posted by djrez4
    After working at a Subaru dealer for a while, I can assure you that the owner's manual doesn't say 7500 miles. It says 3 months/3000 or 3750 miles. You're 2002 WRX service manual can be found here.

Either way, you can never go wrong changing your oil more frequently. If you don't change it enough, you get problems.

Ummmmmmm your link shows 7500 mile intervals.

There is a note about severe driving conditions with the intervals you mention in your post though.

The information is identical to what is in the manual.

I wish you guys would put as much energy into answering my question as you do trying to prove me wrong on some tangential point.
    Last edited by FUNKED1; 12-10-2002 at 11:38 PM.
    FUNKED1
    GO PETTER & TOMMI!!!

PS I realize you guys are trying to help, thx!
    FUNKED1
    GO PETTER & TOMMI!!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by djrez4

I have no idea!

I meant it's never USED a drop. I did change it at 15k miles though.

I think the reaction Rez and I are having is that we have no idea how much it'll use in 7500 miles 'cause we've never left oil in that long. It does seem excessive though. Like I said, mine's never used a drop. 2000 mile oil change interval on mine. Zero times 3 is still zero, but...?

Chris
    Last edited by GV27; 12-11-2002 at 07:21 AM.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

Every engines burns oil as it runs. No engine is perfectly sealed. Having said that, I don't really have a good idea of what constitutes average or above average oil consumption. Perhaps NJSubieTech can shed light on this subject.

On the oil change interval; I personally don't change oil every 3K miles, but instead use every 5K as a changing point. This is due primarily to "laziness" in that I do it myself and it's way easier for me to remember intervals of 5 than 3.
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

i don't burn or use any oil.

betty keeps it all. i test regularly, and change with mobil 1 5weight every 5K miles.

dR

Originally posted by dark_rex
    i don't burn or use any oil.

betty keeps it all. i test regularly, and change with mobil 1 5weight every 5K miles.

dR
    I'm sure you do, it's probably such a small amount that you'll never notice. Afterall, the dipstick isn't *that* great of a measuring device. I suppose my point was to not be alarmed at the fact the engine is burning some oil. If it's burning a quart every 3K miles, then I'd worry about it.
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

Originally posted by WRXed

I'm sure you do, it's probably such a small amount that you'll never notice. Afterall, the dipstick isn't *that* great of a measuring device. I suppose my point was to not be alarmed at the fact the engine is burning some oil. If it's burning a quart every 3K miles, then I'd worry about it.
    agreed, however, if whatever oil i lose is not measurable, i prefer to think i'm sealed up great. losing a quart every 3K miles in NOT standard. i would be concerned about proper break in of the seals if they are leaking that much.

i might even run a compression test.

dR

Originally posted by FUNKED1

Ummmmmmm your link shows 7500 mile intervals.

There is a note about severe driving conditions with the intervals you mention in your post though.

The information is identical to what is in the manual.

I wish you guys would put as much energy into answering my question as you do trying to prove me wrong on some tangential point.
    Sorry FUNKED! I'm not trying to be an ass. Chris and I are just worried about your car and want it to last a long time for you!

The service manual is kinda of confusing to read. The intervals across the top aren't telling you when you should get your car serviced. They're telling you what to perform every time you reach a multiple of that milage. Basically, every 3750 miles, you should do an oil change unless the milage falls under one of the other columns, in which case you should perform the more extensive service. Every multiple of 7500 miles is an oil change and tire rotation. If i'm not making sense, just tell me!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.