Hard starting in cold weather due to oil?

This is a discussion on Hard starting in cold weather due to oil? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My wagon tends to start a little hard in the cold weather- always on the first try, but it feels ...

Hard starting in cold weather due to oil?

My wagon tends to start a little hard in the cold weather- always on the first try, but it feels like the starter is having a hard time turning the engine over when it's cold- could this be due to the oil? I'm thinking of putting a lighter weight oil in for the winter- would this help?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

tan
    lighter oil does certainly help lubrication in the freezing temperatures. The "W" part of the oil weight is the viscosity at 0C or 32F.

When the temperatures drop, it's harder on the battery to start the car. After a few winters, the Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) is at a low level where it is difficult to to start the car.

that's completely normal. i use 5weight oil to comepnsate, although i would not reccomend switching weights in your oil once you have chosed one.

typically, you decide on the oil weight (or more accurately, viscosity) at the first oil change, and stick with it for the life of the car.

dR

What tan said, he's smart

For us simpleton rednecks he said....cold bad, lighter oil and better battery good

This is why we have a battery warmer option BTW. Keeping the battery warmer, well, makes cold starting WAY easier.

I've heard of the battery warmer option, but don't you have to plug it into a socket at night or something?

Yes, like a diesel engine block heater.

For the battery it's a heating element in a bag basically that you wrap around the battery and plug in when the car is parked.