changing oil
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on changing oil within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I would like to start changing my own oil in my 2006 wrx tr. I dont want to take it ...

changing oil

I would like to start changing my own oil in my 2006 wrx tr. I dont want to take it the dealer anymore. I have never changed my own oil I dont think it will be that hard lol... I know I would need oil of choice and filter, oil drain pan, ramps. Am I missing anything? I dont want to screw anything up.. so any helpful pointers would be great

thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

HJC
    on my 03, it's pretty much straight foward. don't know if you need ramps though. I just jack up the passenger side a few inches and I can reach the oil filter and bolt easily. The tire doesn't even leave the ground. Easiest oil change I've ever done.

keep in mind this:.....a long tyme ago i screwed up big, i was doing an oil change on my mothers car and i was a little pre-occupied and didn't realize the rubber gasket for the oil filter never removed when i took off the old filter, thus upon putting the new filter on there was (2), ,,,,,cut to the chase, i wound up putting another eingine in her Celica

thus:
    always make sure that gasket comes off w/ old filter or engine oil WILL leak!

expensive lesson

Well, the real lesson here is that you should always let the car idle for a bit and check for oil leaking on the ground.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Depending on who did the last change you might need a filter wrench...

Need a socket wrench and a screwdriver to take off the splash guard...Need a different socket to take out the drain bolt...That's it I think.

I've done oil changes on my '04 without lifting it at all...it's tight quarters but it's do-able. Preferable with ramps or a lift or something.
    06 S40 T5 AWD
    Previous: 2004 WRX
    05 CBR600F4i

Banned
    sorry to dig up this thread but I searched and didn't find much on oil filters themselves. What does everyone use as far as brand for their oil filter??? OEM, Fram, NAPA??? WHat do you recommend since I am coming up on mine and I am gonna change it myself.

i use mobil 1 oil and filter.. 10w30 . i live in texas wheres its allways hot...
    civicdreamin....

I used Mobile 1 oil with an OEM filter.
    06 S40 T5 AWD
    Previous: 2004 WRX
    05 CBR600F4i

Mobile 1 5w30 synthetic with Wix filter.
    J
    2004 WRX PSM Wagon
    Mesh hood scoop and grille

2005 Kawasaki Ti 636

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.