Strange Noise...

This is a discussion on Strange Noise... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've been noticing a strange sound on my 05 WRX Sedan coming from somewhere down the steering assembly everytime I ...

Strange Noise...

I've been noticing a strange sound on my 05 WRX Sedan coming from somewhere down the steering assembly everytime I begin to pull forward or when I'm turning the steering wheel at low speeds. It is a knocking that almost sounds like my front wheels are re-settling into place. I was wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this with their Subaru, and how I might possibly remedy this problem..? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

same problem with knocking

I just started having the same problem. What was the fix? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by powdr_dayz View Post
    I've been noticing a strange sound on my 05 WRX Sedan coming from somewhere down the steering assembly everytime I begin to pull forward or when I'm turning the steering wheel at low speeds. It is a knocking that almost sounds like my front wheels are re-settling into place. I was wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this with their Subaru, and how I might possibly remedy this problem..? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    I heard that noise a couple times right before I traded it in. Never did figure out what it was.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

check your fluids on your power steering and make sure they are good. Not sure if it could be your pump or not.

Re-Torque your lug nuts ...
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

I'm throwing my hat into the ring. My 05 RS wagon just started doing this. Seems to be related to moving at slow speeds with either steering movement or suspension movement. It does sound like metal or a bolt popping in or out by about a thread or two under load. I can't make it happen on command yet, so I'm afraid I can't make a dealer fix it. Worst part is that I only have 1k of warranty left.

Lugs are properly tightened.

I Support ClubWRX
    It could be the bushings in the steering -- just a guess.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

It's sharp and metallic. Not dull and thunky like a bushing.