So my 00' RS has been having a bad day. I washed my car engine bay yesterday, after changing my fuel filter now, my cylinder 1 ignition coil is shorting out to the bolt that connects it to the intake manifold. It IS dry, so water isn't a problem.
I unplugged my spark plug wire and noticed that the ignition coil / spark plug wire contact is corroded. (bottom left copper knob in the picture below) I'm guessing this is what is creating so much resistance to the spark plug and causing it to short. But I'm hesitant to through down $180 for a new ignition coil. The spark plug wire socket was filled with crap so I 'm hoping a quick and cheap replacement of the spark plug wires will fix this. Anyone have any experience with this happening before?