Help! Ignition coil shorting out

This is a discussion on Help! Ignition coil shorting out within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So my 00' RS has been having a bad day. I washed my car engine bay yesterday, after changing my ...

Help! Ignition coil shorting out

So my 00' RS has been having a bad day. I washed my car engine bay yesterday, after changing my fuel filter now, my cylinder 1 ignition coil is shorting out to the bolt that connects it to the intake manifold. It IS dry, so water isn't a problem.

I unplugged my spark plug wire and noticed that the ignition coil / spark plug wire contact is corroded. (bottom left copper knob in the picture below) I'm guessing this is what is creating so much resistance to the spark plug and causing it to short. But I'm hesitant to through down $180 for a new ignition coil. The spark plug wire socket was filled with crap so I 'm hoping a quick and cheap replacement of the spark plug wires will fix this. Anyone have any experience with this happening before?

Protection from what, Zee Germans?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Sounds like a bad wire causing the arc. Normally coils will only arc if they are cracked.

Quote Originally Posted by ImprezzvRS
    So my 00' RS has been having a bad day. I washed my car engine bay yesterday, after changing my fuel filter now, my cylinder 1 ignition coil is shorting out to the bolt that connects it to the intake manifold. It IS dry, so water isn't a problem.

I unplugged my spark plug wire and noticed that the ignition coil / spark plug wire contact is corroded. (bottom left copper knob in the picture below) I'm guessing this is what is creating so much resistance to the spark plug and causing it to short. But I'm hesitant to through down $180 for a new ignition coil. The spark plug wire socket was filled with crap so I 'm hoping a quick and cheap replacement of the spark plug wires will fix this. Anyone have any experience with this happening before?

you can always clean the contacts with sandpaper.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

Yeah I'm going to get a new set of wires (got these ones only a few months ago ) and try sanding the contacts. If that doesn't work hopefully I won't be up shiite creek, (and short $180)

Thanks
    Last edited by ImprezzvRS; 08-08-2006 at 10:47 AM.
    Protection from what, Zee Germans?

Quote Originally Posted by ImprezzvRS
    Yeah I'm going to get a new set of wires (got these ones only a few months ago ) and try sanding the contacts. If that doesn't work hopefully I won't be up shiite creek.

Thanks

I don't know how well something like CLR would work on those contacts, but that might be another option. Hey, its if "Safe" enough to run through your coffee maker, and it dissolves rust, maybe it will clean up a corroded contact as well.

I had a spring inside a coil pack corrode and break off. The corroded piece used to intermettently cause my #3 cylinder to stop firing. Took me almost a year of intermittent misfire CEL's to figure it out. I'd pull the coil pack, put it back on, and suddenly it would work again. it wasn't until I replaced the coil pack and took the old one appart that I found the little piece of corroded spring wedged in next to the contact spring.
    Last edited by blarg; 08-08-2006 at 10:56 AM.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself