When should I change my timing belt
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on When should I change my timing belt within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 2004 wrx with 50,000 miles on it. I was wondering if I should be thinking about changing ...

When should I change my timing belt

I have a 2004 wrx with 50,000 miles on it. I was wondering if I should be thinking about changing the timing belt soon. If so, where is the best place to get one and are there any packages that would improve performance?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Check your owner's book for the maintenance reqs. Mine says 105K.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

if you do a timing belt you could also think about replacing the clutch and/or upgrading it..not sure. The labor may be beneficial to do both.

I've heard anywhere from 60k+ for the timing belt. A lot of people I've talked to said you can go higher like 75-90k.

90k is typically what dealers say -- our long time subaru tech also says the same. better doing it slightly early rather than waiting too long and having it break. 17k more and my timing belt and water pump will both be changed.
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Hey, being the forum car ADD guy is better than being the forum OG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Well nobody cares what you think, Seth

had my timing belt replaced at 69k miles due to timing belt tensioner failure.. they did everything at the same time
    14.160@96.011
    90 degree weather
    airhog, removed silencer, and removed stock catback exhaust (stock DPs in place) and craptacular california 91 octane piss water

I just hit 70k anyone know about how much it will run me to get my timing belt done?
    New England F4
    Bugeye Mafia
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500
    03 Subaru WRX (SOLD)
    01 CBR 929 (SOLD)
    Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    nothing funny about stubble on the man-marbles.

I've heard anywhere from 250-400. I had my engine replaced so the labor was already there

Quote Originally Posted by Jje121
    I just hit 70k anyone know about how much it will run me to get my timing belt done?
    If you're mechanically inclined do it yourself. On a longitudinal engine like ours it's not too hard. Pull the radiator for some room, pull off the drive belts and crank pulley, remove the covers and change the belt. No dropping the motor half out etc like in a FWD car. Change the water pump while you are in there as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    It must be on the Subway diet. Did you name it Jared?

My service manual also says 105,000mi, inspection should be done a 30k,60k,and 90k then replace at105k
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #666
    Stage 2

I Support ClubWRX
    One reason I hesitate to do it on my own -- and I only bring this up for the sake of showing one possible advantage of going to a shop or dealer -- is what one might uncover by removing the front cover (pardon the pun). If there are leaky seals, a tensioner issue, or anything out of the ordinary under there I'd hesitate to take the job on at my house, and at that point I'd have the car apart as well. Just to avoid that, I'm thinking of supporting the auto repair industry and have it done when the time comes. Just a thought.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I changed to timing belt on my older FWD car. It's a PITA, but it gives you a nice sense of accomplishment when you turn on your engine and it isn't broken.
    -John
    Different Strokes
    Dirty Crew #2002
    Mods in profile.

Thanks for the advice guys. I think i'm gonna change it at 60k. while I'm at it I will also replace the water pump and the timingbelt tensioner. does anyone know if there are any timing belt packages out there that I could get which would have all those things in it? we just changed all those things on my buddy's A4 so I think I will do it myself as well.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.