Switching to full synth at 55,000 miles ok?

This is a discussion on Switching to full synth at 55,000 miles ok? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; This is actually for my wife's 2001 Maxima. I'm going to do the next oil change. She's been taking it ...

Switching to full synth at 55,000 miles ok?

This is actually for my wife's 2001 Maxima.

I'm going to do the next oil change. She's been taking it to the dealership since we bought the car and they've been just using regular dino oil.

The car has 55,000 miles on it. Will I harm anything by putting in Mobil1 synthetic?

Also, I've read some people saying you should do a synth/dino blend for the first time, others say use something like Amsoil's flush first before putting in the synthetic oil.

What's you guys' take on this? Has anyone made the switch at or around this mileage?
    J
    2004 WRX PSM Wagon
    Mesh hood scoop and grille

2005 Kawasaki Ti 636

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I would deffinetly switch to synthetic oil ASAP as long as your engine doesn't have any oil leaks. If your engine has an oil leak you will leak more oil if you use synthetic because it is more fluid (flows easier).If you do switch I would run an engine flush when you do the oil change then just use a full synthetic. I prefer Amsoil but Redlne, Royal Purple, Mobil 1 are also good oils also.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #666
    Stage 2

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by 06grayrex
    I would deffinetly switch to synthetic oil ASAP as long as your engine doesn't have any oil leaks. If your engine has an oil leak you will leak more oil if you use synthetic because it is more fluid (flows easier).If you do switch I would run an engine flush when you do the oil change then just use a full synthetic. I prefer Amsoil but Redlne, Royal Purple, Mobil 1 are also good oils also.
    Why flush the engine??? would it severely harm anything if you dont?? because im coming up on the same situation with my 02 rex....
    02 debaged bugeye with a Magnaflow Axleback, Perrin Dp, Samco IC pipes, APS Inlet, Perrin Fuel Rails, Tien H-Techs, Cobb Sway Kit, Whiteline Endlinks (Front & Back), Omori Boost Gauge, & Stg 2.....It's a good start

I Support ClubWRX
    This question comes up every so often. Here's one of the previous threads with lots of links and info:

Factory vs. Synthetic OIL!
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

go ahead and switch. I did mine at 60k, no problems, no burn, starts perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Peteys02bugeye
    Why flush the engine??? would it severely harm anything if you dont?? because im coming up on the same situation with my 02 rex....
    I would flush the engine when switching to sythentic because most synthetics have higher amounts of detergents in them which will clean the out the engine, breaking up deposits, removing any sludge(if any) which could possible clog up the oil filter causing low oil psi. I don't know the amount of care a person takes in maintaining the engines or the type of oil one uses prior to the switch. So I would recommend flushing the engine to anyone switch to synthetic after running 55,000 miles on conventional oil. Now most oil filters have bypass valves incase of the oil filter get clogged up but then you have dirty unfiltered oil recirculating in the engine (not good) on a fresh oil change. That why you would flush prior to switching. Hope this helps and this my opinion only.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #666
    Stage 2

55K miles is nothing on modern engines. Even if it is the newer dino oils and something used by subaru's dealerships your deposits probably will not be high enough to matter. The chemical properties of synth (m1) will dissolve any deposits that have built up BUT they will be desolved.

Synth and Dino is supposed to be compatible.1

Change your oil to synth, no flush. Change your oil synth again at 3K. It will in efect be sufficient flush. After, resume a normal oci of a conservative 3500-4000. You will be ok so long as you use a quality filter. (I use bosch prem) If you had say 100k on the car, flushing my have a positive effect, but TRUE flushing does not use oil, it uses a kerosene based substance that dissolves EVERYTHING in the engine.

but i'm not an subject matter expert.