Slight shaking during idle?

This is a discussion on Slight shaking during idle? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello everyone! I've been out enjoying my scoob so much I haven't been around much to post about it, but ...

Nok

Slight shaking during idle?

Hello everyone! I've been out enjoying my scoob so much I haven't been around much to post about it, but something has been pickin at me. One thing I've really been noticing lately, is a slight shaking during idle. It's nothing like a diesel or anything, but just enough to feel like something is maybe off balance? It's not quite constant, however, it does almost have a pattern to it.

I haven't noticed any side effects from it, and it doesn't necessarily seem to be getting worse, but I wouldn't want it to turn into something serious... Anyone have any ideas? I was thinking of just taking it into my dealer, but I'm almost positive they'll just say everything is fine. Any help would be appreciated tremendously!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User Death To Ricers's Avatar
    Its very normal. It will do it even worse when you are at a stop and you turn the wheel. The RPM's will move a bit, kinda fun to do.
    2006 WRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    You could vote to fix me a sammich.

Nok
    Thanks for the reply! I was told by an ex-scoob owner that it wasn't anything to worry about, but he said his '02 didn't do it as bad as mine was. Hope it really is normal though, thanks again!

My 02 bugeye does the same thing you've described. I can't comment on the magnitude, but I know it is very common; especially when the car is cold.

It has to do with the firing order of the boxer engine, the head design/combustion chamber design, and when you load the engine by using AC or power steering (hence, turning the wheel at idle), it demands more power from the engine to maintain engine RPM and power the accessory pumps. Because our cars have drive by wire throttles, I would imagine that the base line idle is controlled more electronically and maybe therefore doesn't respond as well to changes in variables. Also, heatsoak will cause your car to idle crappy and want to stall. If you've been driving on a hot day and pull up to a stop light with your AC on, it may feel sluggish and dead off the line when the light changes. Or, park your car in the sun for a few hours. I know here in FL if i leave my car running in the sun for a while then try to drive, it gets shaky because the whole induction system is superheated. Aluminum makes a great material for the I/C because it bleeds heat quite well, but at a stop it also absorbs it quite well too, superheating the intake air until you get moving again.

Hope that answered some of your question....

~Tim

Nok
    Wow you guys are awesome! And special thanks to Timdog for your time in writing that! That's exactly what I wanted to know, thanks!

This was a good thread. I was having the same problem!

Had the same problem ( new owner, older high mileage car ).
    Plug change made a big difference. Next was a seafoam purge, both in tank and mainfold ( search for more info ), and the grounding mod.
    Idle is now smooth as glass, throttle response is improved, and hoping to see a few more miles per tank. If you are mechanically inclined this will cost you about $50.
    2005 Legacy GT - stock for now
    1991 Galant VR4 - Sold
    2002 WRX Wagon - Sold

i love knowing that my engine is pointed the right way!

Another reason why your buddy said that it felt worse than his 02 is that the 06s have the harder STi engine mounts in them. They are stiffer and will transfer more vibration into the cabin.
    Dan- 2004 PSM 5spd

"Days get shorter, nights get longer, snow gets deeper, life gets better."