I need some stock boosting advice please
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on I need some stock boosting advice please within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok, i bought a 03 wrx wagon like 2 weeks ago and it runs fine, 2 days after i bought ...

Unhappy I need some stock boosting advice please

Ok, i bought a 03 wrx wagon like 2 weeks ago and it runs fine, 2 days after i bought it i installed a aem cold air intake and blitz bov (v2atmosphere) i've been trying to adjust the spring on the bov and get no difference any direction that i turn it, but my main problem is that under full boost, the car feels like its strugleing when building speed. It still builds speed quick but feels like its got a slight sputter on its way up. Im not sure if this has to do with the bov or not and if anyone has any ideas i would greatly appreciate it, when not under full boost the car feels fine. everything on the car is stock beside the intake and bov Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The easiest thing to do is to take that stuff off and use the correct parts that came with the car.

Even if you insist on modifying the car (and, by implication, using non-factory parts) there are more co$t-effective options IMO.

Have a look at the sticky threads in the engine and engine management fora.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

ok, well thanks, but i want to keep the stuff i just bought for my car on my car, i am just looking for any advice on what else the problem could be, and that will be my last resort is to put the stock parts back on. its only when under full boost

The problem IS with the parts you put on...Solution, put origional parts back on or get a tune for those parts.
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

Quote Originally Posted by wrxdrvr
    The problem IS with the parts you put on...Solution, put origional parts back on or get a tune for those parts.
    most likely

CAI intake could be casueing you to have some MAF problems and also your MAF sensor could be dirty. Try taking out the sensor and cleaning it with a MAF sensor cleaner. If that doesnt fix it then take off the CAI and probably the BOV. Both of those parts make the car run like crap and are only hurting you. I know you just bought them but honestly, money could have been better spent on the car.
    Dan- 2004 PSM 5spd

"Days get shorter, nights get longer, snow gets deeper, life gets better."

I read everywhere that a CAI is bad for the car, but why? Specifically, what does it do to cause such negative losses when other people (maybe most often with other cars) swear by them

ill take a swing at it and say it restrics air flow becasue of the bends and long length of it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Dub E
    I read everywhere that a CAI is bad for the car, but why?
    PolarisSnT answered this. There's also more info in the sticky threads.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Aftermarket CAI's are not necessarily tested with each car's MAF sensor, so the amoune of intake of aire as well as the ambient movement within the long intake tube creates incorrect MAF adujstments and can make your car run extremely lean. This isn't typical of most cars but for the WRX is a known issue. BOV's are also known to create more problems with the WRX since the stock system is designed for a recirculating design and the stock BOV works great up to ~19-20psi from what I've heard.

For your first mods an Intake and BOV may be good on other cars, but for the WRX in particular they do more harm than good. You'd be better off putting an exhaust system on first.

A Cat-Back is a start and fairly inexpensive in comparison to buying intake/bov. You'd most likely be able to get a catback for the same amount.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR
    PolarisSnT answered this. There's also more info in the sticky threads.
    I've only made a dozen or so posts on these forums but I've received this answer more often than not. I spend more time on these forums than any other website, I try to do as much research as I can. Believe me, I know the rules of etiquette and that you don't want newbies clogging up the forums but posting things like that without at the very least giving a link is just as bad as me asking a question that has been answered.

I have browsed almost all the stickies and done a search on the topic. I understand that air is a tricky variable and that the MAF and MAP sensors can be screwed up with a CAI or ram air or whatever, but what I can't understand is why there wouldn't be gains with a specific setup or calibration.

I have read enough to know what order and priorities I should follow when going through a modification path; I will be installing a TBE this week. I'm just a technical type of guy and want to know all the hows and whys even if I don't plan on doing any of this myself

Just take the damn things off.
    -John
    Different Strokes
    Dirty Crew #2002
    Mods in profile.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Dub E
    I have browsed almost all the stickies and done a search on the topic. I understand that air is a tricky variable and that the MAF and MAP sensors can be screwed up with a CAI or ram air or whatever, but what I can't understand is why there wouldn't be gains with a specific setup or calibration.
    Simple because the stock system is not restrictive. Plain and simple the stock airbox/induction system is not a weak point in the system on the stock turbo. It supplies plenty of air and also insultates the air fairly well. Cobb (Christian. on nasioc) just made a huge pdf. file explaining why they DIDNT see any gains from the SPT intakes on there legacy test cars.

Another point to look at is think about how much extra heat the turbo will create over an N/A setup. Most NA setups will see decent gains over a CAI but it's my logical that due to the extra heat you arent helping much by inducing cold air on the stock IC setup.

Finally most CAI systems will relocate that MAF or alter it's location. This will skew all it's readings and possible cause it to run lean at idle.

Not to sound rude but all this info is out there just a matter of time searching/reading. This isnt even a myth type of thing like headers dont produce power, but rather something MOST tuners will tell you. If you do tune for the setup you will probaly see SMALL dyno gains, but notice no real life improvements on the stock turbo or even a slightly larger one.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

BOV is a horrible mod for a wrx. Get a TBE and some engine management. Cheap and effective first mods.

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi
    ...Not to sound rude but all this info is out there just a matter of time searching/reading. This isnt even a myth type of thing like headers dont produce power, but rather something MOST tuners will tell you. If you do tune for the setup you will probaly see SMALL dyno gains, but notice no real life improvements on the stock turbo or even a slightly larger one.
    Maybe I need to do a search on how to do better searches

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.