Gas Smell

This is a discussion on Gas Smell within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So my CEL came on a while back and I was getting the small emmissions leak code. Everyone keeps tellin ...

Gas Smell

So my CEL came on a while back and I was getting the small emmissions leak code. Everyone keeps tellin me not to worry about it. Lately though, when I get on it a bit, my whole car fills up with the smell of gasoline! I am thinking that it might be the fuel pump or something along those lines because the trunk always reeks of gasoline. I still get really good gas mileage, so Im not sure what could be causingn this or what it could be. I figured I would ask around here since there are so many knowledgeable people lookin around on these forums. any info would be appreciated.

thanks!
    Chris

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

fuel smell

the gasket for your fuel pump swap might not be seated properly.

my 0442 CEL cleared and the fuel smell went away after i re-seated the gasket.

had to trim one of the rubber guide pins on the gasket to get it to seal tight.

I think that solved my problem....so far so good! Thanks for the info.

i was wrong.....my check engine light came back on tonight after traveling 77 miles Anyone else have any ideas as to what else could be causing this. The inside of the car doesnt smell like gas anymore, but when I get out it smells like gas real bad......i cant find any hoses that are loose or anything like that. Any ideas of where I should check?

Quote Originally Posted by clbourq
    i was wrong.....my check engine light came back on tonight after traveling 77 miles Anyone else have any ideas as to what else could be causing this. The inside of the car doesnt smell like gas anymore, but when I get out it smells like gas real bad......i cant find any hoses that are loose or anything like that. Any ideas of where I should check?
    Leaking gas is pretty unsafe. If you can't find the source of the leak, I'd get thee to a shop that could. Gas leak = fire, eventually.