'04 WRX - No coolant res. by turbo, loosing coolant daily. What gives?

This is a discussion on '04 WRX - No coolant res. by turbo, loosing coolant daily. What gives? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just purchased an '04 the other day. The car initially appeared to be in top shape but now a ...

'04 WRX - No coolant res. by turbo, loosing coolant daily. What gives?

I just purchased an '04 the other day. The car initially appeared to be in top shape but now a couple gremlins have shown up.

Namely the cooling system. I topped off the resevoir by the radiator to the "F" mark. Two days later that bottle is now below "L". I looked on some other threads and someone mentioned a resevoir that is above the turbo. I looked in my engine compartment and there is nothing over my turbo. There is an open space on the passenger side next to the intercooler. I can see a metal bracket with a threaded insert hanging off the intercooler that isn't being used and there is a small plastic hose support/bracket on top of the engine near the oil vent lines that is unused.

Do you think the previous owner removed this for some mod? Is this common? Any ideas where all my coolant is going? Do you think he bypassed this bottle and there's something leaking?

The car doesn't run hot and I don't recall any leaks but I'll keep an eye on it now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really love the car but I'm newby here and could really use some help.

THANKS!!!
    Cheers,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ZYMURGUY

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

Whew, okay, yeah, that thing is there... gosh I was getting scared that I bought something that had really been worked over.

Okay. Well between that and the firewall there is a huge space. I mean, I can look right at the turbo heat shield and the down pipe leading under the passenger footwell.

At about 2 o'clock on the circle in your photo there is a metal bracket/tab coming off the intercooler. Is there supposed to be anything attached to this? Is there any ductwork that comes from the scoop to direct some air over the turbo or anything?

Just seems like theres a lot of space and I know how engine compartments are... there's not supposed to be any space

Thank you so much for the photo and helping out. I feel much less freaked out and you're engine compartment is quite nice I might add!
    Cheers,

ZYMURGUY

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zymurguy
    Whew, okay, yeah, that thing is there... gosh I was getting scared that I bought something that had really been worked over.

Okay. Well between that and the firewall there is a huge space. I mean, I can look right at the turbo heat shield and the down pipe leading under the passenger footwell.

At about 2 o'clock on the circle in your photo there is a metal bracket/tab coming off the intercooler. Is there supposed to be anything attached to this? Is there any ductwork that comes from the scoop to direct some air over the turbo or anything?

Just seems like theres a lot of space and I know how engine compartments are... there's not supposed to be any space

Thank you so much for the photo and helping out. I feel much less freaked out and you're engine compartment is quite nice I might add!
    That space is supposed to be there, and there will be a unused threaded hole on a goldish bracket.

Either you have a leak somewhere, your engine is burning the coolant, or the coolant system was opened up prior to your ownership and airbound. (still air bubbles in the system). Open up the surge tank cap (cold), and fill with fluid. Squeeze radiator hoses until you aren't getting anymore bubbles. Close it, and warm up the car. Make sure you heater is set on the hottest setting to get fluid into the heater core. Wait until the car cools down, and repeat. You should then have all the air out.

thank you thank you thank you...

I guess i'm being paranoid. I don't have any overheating problems so perhaps it's just not been "burped" all the way. I'll check all that out tonight, probably go get some coolant on my lunch break to top that overflow just for the ride home (approx. 30 miles).

I had just bought some water wetter but I'm going to wait on that to make sure I don't have a leak... that stuff is too expensive to toss on the ground

Thank you again, this was a great help and I appreciate it!

My next gremlin is the windshield washers... grrrr. Well, I'm off to the search menu, cya.
    Cheers,

ZYMURGUY

ODJ
    I have an '04 and the coolant resevior level is always fluctuating unless the car is absolutely COLD. Try checking the coolant level after the car has been parked overnight, otherwise you'll just drive yourself crazy.

I agree it's a good idea to try and burp any air out of the system too.

If you think the coolant resevior is inconsistent, have you tried to read your engine oil dipstick yet?
    UNSPOILT BY PROGRESS