Cel P0457
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Cel P0457 within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've gotten this CEL 4 times since I got my 06 in March. P0457 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected ...

Cel P0457

I've gotten this CEL 4 times since I got my 06 in March.

P0457 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (gross leak)

This is also known as the gas cap code. I'm going to call Subaru and bring it in for service. Problem is I have Cobb stage 1 mapped right now. I got this code before i ever mapped to stage 1.

I'm kind of nervous about bringing it in with it still running the Cobb map. Problem with unmapping is I think I'll lose the code. Subaru told me they wont do anything unless the code is up. If i revert to stock Iím sure Iíll get the code again in three weeks or so. The last thing I want to do is get my warranty voided.

So do you think it will be ok to bring it in running the cobb map? Or should revert to stock and wait for the code to return?

Thanks,

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Have you done any work on the backend of your car? Swaybar/exhaust?

THere's the black box under your car all the way in the back, and sometime you have to unmount it and kind of move it for installing a swaybar. I happened to disconnect one of the tubes from the box and it gave me that error. It's basically a leak in your fuel system, due to a loose fuel cap, or loose fuel hose. I would take a look under there and make sure all your tubes are connected and tight.

I fixed mine in minutes

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuchs
    Have you done any work on the backend of your car? Swaybar/exhaust?

THere's the black box under your car all the way in the back, and sometime you have to unmount it and kind of move it for installing a swaybar. I happened to disconnect one of the tubes from the box and it gave me that error. It's basically a leak in your fuel system, due to a loose fuel cap, or loose fuel hose. I would take a look under there and make sure all your tubes are connected and tight.

I fixed mine in minutes

Hope this helps.
    The previous time the light came on I was on my way to get my springs installed. When they put it up on the lift I checked out that box and couldnt see anything obviosly disconected or loose. Havnt touched the sway bar or exhaust yet. I'll get under there tonight again and see if I can find anything lose.

The very first time I got the code was the day after I got the car. That time I think I completely lost presure. The fual gauge showed as empty and the low fual light was on. After re-doing the gas cap a few times the light went away and the preasure went back up. I figured that time it has to have been the guys at the dealer didnt do a good job putting the cap on.

Wierd thing about this is it usualy take 3-4 week for the light to come back after its cleared.

I checked out the charcoal box. I noticed that two of the rubber hoses had worm clamps on them but one didnt. The one without the clamp faces the rear of the car and is on the pasnger side. The hose without the clamp can be removed fairly easy.

So my question now is am I missing a clamp or is that normal?

I also flashed back to stock. The code is gone for now but im sure it will be back soon. Seems to happen after the car has had a few days to re-learn.

It's not the flash, the fuel sensor's IMO are finicky too. Do you park your car on an incline? I had the cel and fuel light come on for a week and the fuel gugae reading E and moving...it was really weird. It just happened to go away.

Not sure what else you could try. Check on Nasioc for the code and there are people that say they had the fuel sensor replaced as well.

I had the same issue with my 06. I looked and looked for hoses and kept resetting the ecu. Finally I found the Disconnected hose. I have included a picture of where I found my disconnected hose. The hose was located right next to the alternator. If you look where I have circled in the picture you will see a round thing with three hoses coming off of it. I don't know what the thing is actually called. On my car the bottom hose that runs downward off of that round thing was disconnected. The bottom hose connects from that round thing to another hose. The two hoses are connected by a blue plastic coupler. The hose comes disconnected from that blue piece pretty easily. It is hard to see the blue connector for the two hoses, but it is there. After I re-connected the hose and reset the ecu the code went away and never came back.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wrx eng.bmp  
    06-wrx: stage 2 and loving every minute of it!

Ya I know its not the flash. Just wanted to go back to stock so when the light comes back on I can bring it into Subaru.

I do normally park at a slight incline but it isnít to bad. Just enough that the car will roll back if in neutral.

check that hose I mentioned before you bring it to subaru.

Quote Originally Posted by 06-wrx
    check that hose I mentioned before you bring it to subaru.
    Dude !!!!! It was disconected! It was prety obviouse once I saw it.

Did subaru ship a bunch of thse with it disconected? Fellow 06 owners you may want to check it out.

Thank you I was really dreading going to the dealer.

Anyone know what that line is for?
    Last edited by AveyWRX; 07-26-2006 at 08:35 PM.

I knew that would be it. Whenever I hear someone get that code I allways tell em to take a look at that hose.

It 'looks' like another air hose connected to the manifold. I guess it's possible that it would be messing with your A/F Mix and perhaps saying you have a leak. Great that you found it!!

mark another one with the same code and same problem....glad i found it before taking it to my mechanic......
    04 Pearl Black STi-
    GT35R...

*88 Mustang Foxbody-
    Not Stock!!=475RWHP

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    Get some kneepads and open your mouth

Quote Originally Posted by 06-wrx View Post
    I had the same issue with my 06. I looked and looked for hoses and kept resetting the ecu. Finally I found the Disconnected hose. I have included a picture of where I found my disconnected hose. The hose was located right next to the alternator. If you look where I have circled in the picture you will see a round thing with three hoses coming off of it. I don't know what the thing is actually called. On my car the bottom hose that runs downward off of that round thing was disconnected. The bottom hose connects from that round thing to another hose. The two hoses are connected by a blue plastic coupler. The hose comes disconnected from that blue piece pretty easily. It is hard to see the blue connector for the two hoses, but it is there. After I re-connected the hose and reset the ecu the code went away and never came back.

Bump and props to some great information. I found the source of my p0442 and p0457 cels immediately after reading this post from 06-wrx
    -09 Impreza 2.5GT 13.72/ 99.4/1.926
    -99 Mustang 10.64/136.41.57
    -08 R32 (bone stock)

those hoses are part of the purge system to pull vapors from the canister into the intake manifold. the purge solenoid is right behind the 3-hosed black thing, i think it seals the purge solenoid when the manifold is under boost pressure to prevent leaks. i love emissions stuff!
    Blobeye Syndicate #75
    2005 OBP WRX Sport Wagon
    Stewart Warner Boost & Oil temp gauges / OEM 20 mm rear bar
    Cobb stg 2 / STi uppipe / Crucial Racing downpipe
    Stromung 2.5" catless centerpipe / Scooby Sport New Age centre pipe & backbox

Quote Originally Posted by AveyWRX View Post
    Dude !!!!! It was disconected! It was prety obviouse once I saw it.

Did subaru ship a bunch of thse with it disconected? Fellow 06 owners you may want to check it out.

Thank you I was really dreading going to the dealer.

Anyone know what that line is for?
    what your looking at is a vent valve/purge soleniod...i was going to tell you to look for the same thing...and yes subaru shipped ALL of them with it disconnected..your dealer ship must have a tech fresh out of some half rate tech school..or their techs dont pay attention to PDI (pre delivery inspection) updates.. there is a update stateing that vin#'s bla bla bla through bla bla bla have left without that hose being connected..and for what its worth do NOT ever go to the dealer with your AP on your warrenty WILL be flagged...meaning if you ever have a engine/computer/CEL issue you will be denied..subaru can not "viod" a warrenty..only flag a vehicle for its parts and if a prob that they can link to those parts occurs then you get denied...bassiclly if your wheel bearings go and they flagged you for a AP they cant deny you because the AP didnt cause it...but the AP will give them a good arguement for "abuse"
    New England F4

feel free to pm me with any questions..

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.