my WRX - slower than an S10

This is a discussion on my WRX - slower than an S10 within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; its a 05 WRX with 17k miles on it. when i did the oil change @ 15,000 it had eaten ...

my WRX - slower than an S10

its a 05 WRX with 17k miles on it. when i did the oil change @ 15,000 it had eaten about a quart and 1/4 in 3k miles. it makes no power til about 5 grand, and even then its nothing special. i dont hit full boost til about 4k rpm, but even when it boosts it feels incredibly slow. a few people said i was just getting used to it, so i did a few tests. one of which was this hill by my house. usually going up it in 2nd, i can top out 2nd and get part way thru 3rd. i just did it again today and i only got up to about 5k rpm in 2nd. it has a slightl fluttering sound to it, but it runs totally fine (other than the no power issue), so i know its not an intake leak. my friend had some of the same symptoms on his 05, and it turns out he fried the rings on cyl 3.

i've been to subaru and they told me they'd put me on an "oil watch program" even though all i think i need is a compression test done.

anyone else have this kind of issue w/ their dealership? on a side note, my paint on my hood is all messed up... its streaked, under the clear coat. i've been after them to replace it since i bought it in september brand new and they keep telling me that i have to wait til their general manager comes in. thanks,

~Shelby

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz2
    its a 05 WRX with 17k miles on it. when i did the oil change @ 15,000 it had eaten about a quart and 1/4 in 3k miles. it makes no power til about 5 grand, and even then its nothing special. i dont hit full boost til about 4k rpm, but even when it boosts it feels incredibly slow. a few people said i was just getting used to it, so i did a few tests. one of which was this hill by my house. usually going up it in 2nd, i can top out 2nd and get part way thru 3rd. i just did it again today and i only got up to about 5k rpm in 2nd. it has a slightl fluttering sound to it, but it runs totally fine (other than the no power issue), so i know its not an intake leak. my friend had some of the same symptoms on his 05, and it turns out he fried the rings on cyl 3.

i've been to subaru and they told me they'd put me on an "oil watch program" even though all i think i need is a compression test done.

anyone else have this kind of issue w/ their dealership? on a side note, my paint on my hood is all messed up... its streaked, under the clear coat. i've been after them to replace it since i bought it in september brand new and they keep telling me that i have to wait til their general manager comes in. thanks,

~Shelby
    Pull the dipstick and smell the oil. Does it have a gasoline smell to it? If so you're rings are probably shot on one cylinder (at least) and if you let the engine oil continually get washed with gasoline you'll fry the rest of 'em and maybe more.

I'd say if you are consuming a qt. of oil between changes you've got a serious problem my friend.

These are tough questions though. You could have a crankcase pressure problem causing you to consume oil. It could be a simple leak. However, due to you not having power indicates that you might have something a bit more serious going on there. I'd take it back and insist they do a leakdown test on the cylinders.

Just my .02
    Cheers,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ZYMURGUY

Quote Originally Posted by zymurguy
    I'd take it back and insist they do a leakdown test on the cylinders.

...when it went in for the clutch the other day (another story all together...) i told them that'd be a good time to do a compression test. they said 'ok, we'll look into it' and never did it. they told me my car was fine, the clutch was fine... although that day on the way to work, i downshifted from 5th to 3rd @ 30mph (car slowed down in front of me to turn), then stepped on the gas to get back up to speed and all i could smell was clutch. it wouldnt disengage once in gear and wouldnt change gear. i pulled into a gas station and almost hit my buddies car b/c it wouldnt stop w/o me stalling it. i had to use the starter to get to work. the next day they called and said it was fine, that 2 managers had taken it on an 11mile test. i told him ok, odd, maybe the clutch was over heated for some strange reason, but it still had no power. he said he had no problem cruising on the highway. I explained the S10 that pulls away @ 1/2 throttle and he started getting all pissy telling me it was ready to be picked up. i got it back, clutch does work, but now it feels like it has no grab point... its smooth as in feels like its slipping. before it was a sharp grab, now its gradual and you almost don't know when its fully engaged... in the matter of 2 days. i've been after them since last september when i bought it to replace my hood (runs in the paint, under the clear coat) and they still haven't fixed it. i always get the same response "we need to wait until the general manager is here"

i am going to get a compression test done somewhere else, and if it comes up like i suspect then i'll be headed down to subaru to talk to the manager.

...i dunno, i've about had it w/ these people. thanks for any input

~Shelby

Did you buy it new from this dealership? I'd make a call to another dealership, explain what you think the problems are and make an appointment to meet with their service manager before you even head over there. Even if it's many miles away, you need to get this resolved.

I had a bad experience with a VW Corrado that had some chronic problems. I always got the run around with them and before I knew it my car was out of warranty and I had to deal with all the bad problems that were inherrent to the design of the engine. It was in the shop at least once every 6 months for the tune of $400 average each visit. That's not pretty. I even wrote letters to VW and their response showed me that this attitude came from the top down. Eventually I had a $25K car that wasn't worth beans, was undrivable and still needed $1000s in repairs. It was only about 6 years old when I simply had to park it for good. How's that for money well spent?

I don't suspect that Subaru is a corporation like this. If you have to, try and get in contact with Subaru corporate customer service and explain that you are getting the run around and the dealership is stalling on you. I'm sure others here on the board might have some helpful phone numbers. I'm a newbie here but I've been through the ringer with dealerships before and now I hold my ground and don't take cr@p off of any of 'em.

It just sounds like that dealership is unwilling to work with you. If you can, give the owner of the dealership a call and try one more time to get things resolved there.

Back to the car... if I knew you had clutch problems and were losing power I'd say the problem is there... but, the oil consumption points to other problems.

Good Luck
    Cheers,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ZYMURGUY