Towing w/WRX

This is a discussion on Towing w/WRX within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 2002 4EAT WRX Wagon and will be towing a 5x8 trailer and am looking for any tips. ...

Towing w/WRX

I have a 2002 4EAT WRX Wagon and will be towing a 5x8 trailer and am looking for any tips. I remember someone telling me about removing a fuse when towing to disable AWD maybe???
    Also, I have towed with other vehicles before, should I shift out of overdrive?
    Any help is appreciated...Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

if it's in nuetral I'm guessing you're fine. Correct me if I'm wrong

5x8 trailer aint big.. unless you load it to the hilt with metal junk.. just be wise, dont ride the clutch should be fine... a guy on mnsubaru tows a boat with his 04 wrx.... he sayd he has no issues with it but he is nice too it...
    03 Silver WRX, FOR SALE
    www.mnsubaru.com

It will be about 1200 lbs. total. I have a 4EAT. I am going from NY to CA, but I really baby this car.
    Not sure what the neutral comment means though.
    Thanks for the help, lets my mind rest. 2800 miles is a long drive to have worries..
    Thanks again guys

Keep the car out of overdrive, especially on any hills. So long as the stuff in the trailer doesnt weigh much you should be fine. Lil off subject but everyday almost on my way to work I see an evo pulling a trailer with a big tool box and extra set of wheels and tires...auto-x obviously. You should be fine. If anything watch you trans temp light...

Thanks for the info. I will do the overdrive thing when appropriate(in Colorado ).
    Anyone know any info. on removing the fuse to disable AWD? Also, where is the trans temp light?
    Thanks in advance....

I totally misread that sorry. THought you were asking about towing your car behind something... dur dur durrrr. My bad.

Well the car had no problems towing the weight...made it all the way to Nebraska before the trailor flipped. The car held up like a champ, only $5000 in damages and 5 weeks without a car
    But for anyone thinking of towing a trailor behind their car, DO NOT GO WITH U-Haul.
    They rented us a faulty rusted out trailor...

I Support ClubWRX
    Holy ish that sucks. Atleast everyone made it safe, but that's awful. What happened to the car?
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Quote Originally Posted by 2002BlueWRX4eat
    made it all the way to Nebraska before the trailor flipped.
    may be you could elaborate on the flipping part for me and where was the damage
    04 WRX Java Black
    Mustang Dyno 218 awhp 216 awtq
    1978 Honda CB400Tll
    yea you know its modified
    1974 Honda CB750 Bobber
    still in the works

The frame of the trailor snapped on the highway. The trailer flipped on it side, pulled the car around backwards, and dragged it 200ft before the trailor ended up on its back door vertically. All of our stuff is messed, because keep in mind, we were moving across country and only brought the important things. I am trying to figure out the lawsuit part, if any one has any info it is appreciated. I have the car now. Runs fine, already put 2000 on it this month. A/c doesn't work now, but am trying to get geico to fix that as it worked and was on during the accident. I am in SoCal and it is HOT as H*** here these days.
    Iwill try to post a pic soon. But the car was safe. My wife, brother, myself, and our two dogs walked away unharmed. Those buckets w/the seatbelts kept us as they say "snug as a bug in a rug"

Oh, replaced were as follows:
    headlight, front bumper and attached, rear bumper and attached, tow setup,roof damage, fenders repainted, rear tire that blew out from weight shifting,rear rim, and I am prob. forgetting something. But when it was in the tow yard/shop someone stole a bunch of stuff out of it
    The whole thing was a headache and a half. Just hope we get out money back from all the costs associated.

Quote Originally Posted by 2002BlueWRX4eat
    Oh, replaced were as follows:
    headlight, front bumper and attached, rear bumper and attached, tow setup,roof damage, fenders repainted, rear tire that blew out from weight shifting,rear rim, and I am prob. forgetting something. But when it was in the tow yard/shop someone stole a bunch of stuff out of it
    The whole thing was a headache and a half. Just hope we get out money back from all the costs associated.
    I see now dude that sucks hope everything works out and keep us posted
    04 WRX Java Black
    Mustang Dyno 218 awhp 216 awtq
    1978 Honda CB400Tll
    yea you know its modified
    1974 Honda CB750 Bobber
    still in the works