Valvetrain clatter....drivers side.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Valvetrain clatter....drivers side. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; OK, 02 WRX 65K miles..been stock until a month ago. Last night I started hearing a clatter from the drivers ...

Unhappy Valvetrain clatter....drivers side.

OK, 02 WRX 65K miles..been stock until a month ago. Last night I started hearing a clatter from the drivers side head area. It sounds to me like a collapsed lifter would sound in a V8 car. From what I hear my car has the shim on top of the bucket...what is the chance I spit the shim and what I am hearing is the lash in the val;vetrain? Also, I do not hear it till about 2500rpm's....it seems to follow RPM...but does not get louder (not rod or main knock)...

If I whiped a cam....I might as well get aftermarket....any thoughts on good ones for street car with the upgrade train approaching?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

hmm. could be a split shim cas i know there was a discussion about it for the 02 wrxs.
    for me, i would go for helix cams and crower valve springs
    SOCAL F4#02 OG member

2002 PSM WRX stage 6
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R

Easy things first: how's your oil level?
    Mine: '05 PSM WRX 5MT Sport Wagon, Cobb AP
    Wife's: '05 SRR 2.5RS 5MT Sport Wagon

The Knack. It's a rare condition characterized by an extreme intuition about all things mechanical and electrical ... and utter social ineptitude.

wow im in the same boat as you, bout to hit 69k miles, about a month ago my motor starting tapping/crunching, took it to subaru, it got warrantied(exntended warranty) for a timing belt tensioner, but theres still a tap..and it really comes on about 2500-4000 from the drivers side head just like yours.. cant tell after that because of engine noise... its just a consistant tap, does not get louder with rpms or anything.. so is this a problem with the 02s? i hate for this shyt to happen to my car... im waiting for my oil change ( coming up in 100 miles) to check for any foreign objects in the oil before it goes back to subaru.. any other ideas out there?
    14.160@96.011
    90 degree weather
    airhog, removed silencer, and removed stock catback exhaust (stock DPs in place) and craptacular california 91 octane piss water

I know this is a dead thread, but I thought I would ask here to anyone can follow along to see if my problem is similar.

got an 02 wrx and until this past weekend things were fine, I parked it at a friends for a few days and when I get back in to leave, it starts a small clatter from what I believe is the front passenger side of the car. The really odd part is it only does it in first gear, only from a dead start, and only uphill. On flat ground there is nothing. I checked the oil of course and it is fine. Any thoughts are where I may start looking and why it is only happening on an incline?
    2002 WR Blue Pearl WRX M5
    BPM Axel Back Exhaust, Paranoid Fabrications Grounding Kit

"Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."

still looking for any help with this. It sounds like a clatter sound when I start out from a start, mostly uphill. Not sure if the clutch makes a clattering sound under low rpm load when it is going out? thanks for any replies

"Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."

Welcome to having a Flat4.
    WRB, Tial gated 20'gd, PPG reppin Bugeye FTW !

so this is a normal sound and I shouldn't worry? or just a common problem?

Quote Originally Posted by perfect8 View Post
    so this is a normal sound and I shouldn't worry? or just a common problem?
    I have a tapping or clicking what ever you want to call it comming from both sides. Driver side is louder than the passenger side. I dont know if its normal but I know I've heard it for quite some time now. I wasn't to sure if I heard it when I first got the car cause I got it while I was on leave from Iraq. But when I came back and payed attention to the engine it seamed to have been there. Hopefully its normal. Haven't had a problem yet. It might go away a bit after a oil change so start with that. If your really worried take it to a mechanic you trust. Thats all I can tell you .

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.