Subaru WRX Forum banner

How often does your AC compressor disengage?

10K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  ascheier 
#1 ·
Having problems with my AC compressor not staying engaged. The clutch will disengage after the compressor has been running for 8-10 seconds. Then after about 5 seconds, it will kick back on. That's really annoying. The air will go from cold-warm-cold...

Took it in for service yesterday. When I got it back, it acted the same exact way. But now I have greasy hand prints on my hood.

Anyone elses behave this way? Did some searching but didn't find anything relevant.

#2 ·
zum said:
Having problems with my AC compressor not staying engaged. The clutch will disengage after the compressor has been running for 8-10 seconds. Then after about 5 seconds, it will kick back on. That's really annoying. The air will go from cold-warm-cold...

Took it in for service yesterday. When I got it back, it acted the same exact way. But now I have greasy hand prints on my hood.

Anyone elses behave this way? Did some searching but didn't find anything relevant.
Is this at idle, or when you are driving?

#5 ·
Trainrex said:
Is this at idle, or when you are driving?
At idle it'll stay engaged. This is when driving. It acted the same when parked but holding the revs at ~2500 rpms.

flyingpertyhigh said:
mine does exactly that. pisses me off. figured its just a shi*** design
I can't imagine it's good for the compressor clutch.

#6 ·
Rick

I get a good idle surge (750ish rpm->120ish rpm->750ish and so on) when the AC or defrost is on- pretty normal. What your describing isn't normal or if it is I haven't experienced it.

Visit w/ Craig Olivia (service mgr) and have him take a drive w/ you- something is up.

Mike

#7 ·
i get a pretty good surge while im driving, i just had a new compressor put in, and @3k rpm, my car will stumble for a split sec.. then about 15-20 secs later it will do the same.. its extremely annoying when highway driving anywhere..details behind getting a new compressor are: took my car in for loud abnoxious tapping sound coming from motor area ( i assumed it was valve tap).. timing belt tensioner gave causing tapping, replaced under warranty, while i was there i told them my AC blew hot air.. found old unit was completely non functional, was replaced under warranty.. now i get hesitation while driving with the ac on, and i still have a noticable tap coming from the motor...:mad:

#8 ·
Not stealing the thread but I hardly use my A/C and now that I turn it on...it Squeals like if I was murdering a Pig!!!!! For about 1min then it goes away... Its pretty embarassing!!! Is my A/C screwed???? Cold air comes out and it works perfectly except for the loud shreeeeeekkkk!!!!

#11 ·
03wrxwgn said:
Not stealing the thread but I hardly use my A/C and now that I turn it on...it Squeals like if I was murdering a Pig!!!!! For about 1min then it goes away... Its pretty embarassing!!! Is my A/C screwed???? Cold air comes out and it works perfectly except for the loud shreeeeeekkkk!!!!
Check the tension of the drive belt and adjust as necessary.

#12 ·
My AC squeals like a pig as well, seems to be getting worse. If I have not run it for a period of time it goes crazy, then goes away...However as the compressor cycles, turns on and off every few minutes, when it cycles on it does one quick squeal...annoying to say the least.

#13 ·
zum said:
Sounds like a low pressure switch; perhaps from low freon. When this happens, the AC compressor will engage and disengage sporadically as its desinged to do. Have the freon level checked.

#14 ·
Balthus said:
My AC squeals like a pig as well, seems to be getting worse. If I have not run it for a period of time it goes crazy, then goes away...However as the compressor cycles, turns on and off every few minutes, when it cycles on it does one quick squeal...annoying to say the least.
that could be a loose pulley. I had this problem too...just had them tighten it and the squeal went away. I also had a different squeal (more like bearing squeal) when the compressor was going out.

#15 ·
zum said:

I have this exact same problem. It disengages every 5 seconds or so and makes the whole car bog plus a loud knock from under the hood. I'm starting to think it's low freon since I don't get ice cold air anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.