degreasing/cleaning engine compartment
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on degreasing/cleaning engine compartment within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; after this ( http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...threadid=14297 ) incident I have found there to be quite a lot of sand stuck all over ...

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX

degreasing/cleaning engine compartment

after this (http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...threadid=14297) incident I have found there to be quite a lot of sand stuck all over everthing inside me engine compartment.. all over fluid caps, dipsticks.. generally places that I don't want sand..

so my question is, how should I go about cleaning it off? I don't want to use engine degreaser because it could harm some of the plastics/hoses, and I don't think plain water would do the job.. maybe use a diluted soap solution?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I just take it to a DIY carwash place and just spray it down with the high-pressure soap, avoiding the electronics. Then a quick rinse. You can use a degreaser if you're careful but you probably don't need to. Avoid the intercooler as well - you'll bend all the fins.

C
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

Once again GV to the rescue! Too cool.
    Mad Props to MC GV27 yo!

take it to a local auto detailing salon, and get an engine detail. they'll do it right.

dR

They'll do it right but it's gonna cost ya.
    I say don't do that till you are selling it.

But it's your engine you have to look at it...lovingly every possible waking minute as you stoke her intercooler to get her primed and then go around back for some tailpipe action. Oops got carried away there, Doc told me to not let my fantasies run my life.

Originally posted by PKer
    They'll do it right but it's gonna cost ya.
    I say don't do that till you are selling it.

But it's your engine you have to look at it...lovingly every possible waking minute as you stoke her intercooler to get her primed and then go around back for some tailpipe action. Oops got carried away there, Doc told me to not let my fantasies run my life.
    ROFL

I guess I'll take it to a car wash, cause I don't wanna spend a lot of money on it.. but I'll have to be careful. Think it could crack the block if it's hot and I spray cold water on it?

does your block crack when your engine is hot and you drive through a rainstorm? i think not

Originally posted by aaronwillen
    does your block crack when your engine is hot and you drive through a rainstorm? i think not

is your hood open when you drive through a rain storm? I usually keep mine closed. And does your block crack when your engine is hot and you drive through a big puddle? YES, it does, personal experience. Not on my WRX, but it has happened to me before..

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.