Wheel torque spec?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Wheel torque spec? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm replacing my Brakes for the first time. What is the torque spec of the wheel nuts? A friend of ...

Wheel torque spec?

I'm replacing my Brakes for the first time.

What is the torque spec of the wheel nuts?
    A friend of mine said 66 lbs but I wasn't sure

Help? I have a 2002 WRX
    thanx guys.

Meng Hang

Ogura Corporation (US Headquarters) Chesterfield Township, MI
    Network System Administrator, IT Supervisor
    Black WRX 2002, ...with 18G with Stock IC.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

What!!

No body change their wheels?
    Nobody has rims???
    Meng Hang

Should be in the owners' man. in the fixing a flat section I believe. People have also posted it in random threads around here if you search. My memory tells me it is 74ish ft*lbs, but I would double check.
    New England F4

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCJ99 View Post
    205 whp on a STOCK wrx??? I find that to be a bit hard to believe. My 2006 WRX ran 188 whp with Injen CAI, HKS BOV, HKS Downpipe and HKS carbon ti exhaust... How can a STOCK WRX run 205 whp??? I'd like to see dyno sheets to back that one up...

Registered User TheFugitiveMind's Avatar
    i do 75ft lbs. and so does Americas Tire/Discount Tire Co. on my 05 WRX
    2006 Aspen White STi
    Stage 2 Open Source Road Tune
    A bunch of bushings from TiC

Quote Originally Posted by Trainable
    Should be in the owners' man. in the fixing a flat section I believe. People have also posted it in random threads around here if you search. My memory tells me it is 74ish ft*lbs, but I would double check.

I looked at the manual and it never says anything about torque. Not in the fixing flat section or any of the spec section.

I called the dealer...they just put me on hold forever...
    Meng Hang

FOUND IT. THANX GUYS
    Meng Hang

just crank it till the nut breaks off.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    just crank it till the nut breaks off.
    Just make sure you use an impact wrench like a real life prof. mechanic.
    New England F4

205 whp on a STOCK wrx??? I find that to be a bit hard to believe. My 2006 WRX ran 188 whp with Injen CAI, HKS BOV, HKS Downpipe and HKS carbon ti exhaust... How can a STOCK WRX run 205 whp??? I'd like to see dyno sheets to back that one up...

Quote Originally Posted by MengHang
    FOUND IT. THANX GUYS

Would have been nice if you mentioned what the torque spec. is and where you found it.

sorry. It gave me a range of torque, so I chose 80 lbs. The book said 60-70 lbs but I just don't want the wheels to fall out like in my Expedition which nearly destroyed the car. I torqued them to 70, but decided to up the notch to 80 for safety. Do you guys think 80 is too much? A friend of mine has a 98 Eclipse and he torques them at 75.

I found the numbers in the "change your wheel" section of the manual. Look for the pix of the spare wheel being used.

some of the info above is NOT exact, because I don't have the book on hand, but I did torque them to 80 for safety.

I think WE all do a little more than routine driving to work/school. Spirited driving with a loose wheel is NOT a good ideal for anyone.
    Meng Hang

I follow the torque specs and I remember someone explaining that the torque spec is a pretty exact number calculated based on the materials tensile strength, bolt diameter, thread thickness, etc at which the nut/bolt will effectively lock because of slight deformation of the metal, but will return to its original state when loosened. If you are under the torque specs the deformation does not take place so there isn't the locking effect and if you are over you risk permanent deformation and fatigue which could lead to not being able to achieve the locking effect or the lug breaking off down the road.

To me this makes sense based on what little I took out of my material sciences cours in college so I follow torque specs to a T. Remember though with the alloy rims you need to retighten after.... 300 miles .... I think. It tells you in the manual though.
    New England F4

I had looked everywhere in the manual, and read the tire changing section as well, never did find the wheel torque spec.

I would definitely retighten the lugs after a day of driving, then check them again after a few hundred miles. We changed the wheels on my brother's car a while back, torqued them to the spec., then didn't think about it. After I think two days I checked them, and they definitely needed to be tightened!

I Support ClubWRX
    I do 75 lb-ft.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I also do 75.
    Torque all 5 to 60 first, then increase to 75. Not a professional, just my advice.

I use a 1/2 Craftsman breaker bar and "give it a good grunt". My internal torque wrench is calibrated.

IMO from my ME courses in college, the torque specs are there so that ham fisted mechanics don't torque the crap out of stuff and break it. They give you a range so that you aren't going to break the part and you will get things tight enough so that they don't fall off/apart.

A steel bolt will only not return to its shape after you pass its yeild strength. This will cause a perminant deformation. Also steel parts can be designed in such a way that they will have an infinite fatigue life. So it's not so much for the bolt as it is for the threads and the part. Much more care is needed if you are threading into a softer material like aluminum or magnesium. (ie lower torque spec)

After you've wrenched on enough stuff and calibrated your "torque wrench" (plus some common sense) you don't need a torque wrench, save for internal parts (enigne, trans, etc.).

I have three torque specs: snug it (oil pan bolt), torque it (give it a good grunt) and animalistic (half a scream away from shearing the head off).

*searches for flamesuit*
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.