Wheel torque spec? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Wheel torque spec? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by wrx wagone I use a 1/2 Craftsman breaker bar and "give it a good grunt". My internal ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone
    I use a 1/2 Craftsman breaker bar and "give it a good grunt". My internal torque wrench is calibrated.
    This may be true in your case. Working as a quality assurance professional, I've met all sorts of people who think that they can precisely measure things "by eye" or "by feel". Very rarely are they right. I like to trust a gauge of some sort. I guess it's just a personal foible.

Having said that, what you said about having a range for ham-fisted mechanics is probably right. I never owned a torque wrench 'til I was in my 30's, and somehow I never had a wheel come flying off of any of the cars I owned before that. (...or warped the wheel with uneven tightening, etc...)
    Last edited by RayfieldsWRX; 07-20-2006 at 06:27 AM.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yes, very true. There is definitely nothing wrong with using a torque wrench so if you like, please do.

I've worked as a mechanic at a bike shop for some time and I can't even begin to tell you some of the things I've seen come through the door when Joe Public decides to pick up a wrench and "DIY".
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12