Correct Oil change.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Correct Oil change. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I will change my oil tomorrow,,but i am in doubt about some items. see if i am correct.. 1-unbolt the ...

Correct Oil change.

I will change my oil tomorrow,,but i am in doubt about some items.
    see if i am correct..
    1-unbolt the bolt so the oil drain
    2-unscrew the oil filter screw to drain excess oil.
    3-Unscrew oil filter.
    4-replace the bolt back in.
    After that i dont know what to do?
    Should i pour some oil inside the new oil filter to prevent air from getting inside?
    after pouring the oil in filter,,screw the filter back in and put the correct amount of oil.
    After that,,should i run my car iddle for how long so the new oil can be in action?
    And i should do all this after the engine is warm.
    correct?
    Thanks
    Tuca

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

No need to pour oil in the new filter. The only thing you'll want to do to it is rub oil on the rubber gasket. This will keep it from sticking next time you need to remove it.

As far as running engine after correct amount of oil is in, just run it for a couple of minutes, and you'll be fine.

No need to change oil when engine is warm. If you do it when the engine is warm, you'll likely burn your hands. Let it cool a bit.

I was saying,,its not good to make the oil change after the car is cold for a long time.
    Am i correct here??
    Thanks
    Tuca

Usually the only reason that people change oil when the engine is warm is so that it flows easier. You can change it cold or warm. If you're worried about having old oil left in the engine (because it's cold), you can buy a flush from autozone to clean it out. This is what I've always been told.
    Last edited by junaitari; 12-04-2002 at 07:00 AM.

Tuca, here's an old thread that has some really good info.

Changing oil, anything special? [Moved]

I fill the new filter with oil. The idea is to prevent oil starvation the first couple seconds after the change when you start the car - although I doubt it makes too much of a difference - but it can't hurt.

Change the oil when it is warm because more of the contaminates will be suspended in the oil and more will come out when you drain it.

Originally posted by Rick Schu
    I fill the new filter with oil. The idea is to prevent oil starvation the first couple seconds after the change when you start the car - although I doubt it makes too much of a difference - but it can't hurt.

Change the oil when it is warm because more of the contaminates will be suspended in the oil and more will come out when you drain it.
    Finally!!!
    Someone speaking my language
    I hope we are correct..
    Tuca
    2002 Black Wagon WRX
    315HP With the PM-ID

ive always been told to put oil in the oil filter for all turbo charged cars.

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by Rick Schu

When letting the oil drain, take off the oil filler cap in the engine compartment, to release any pressure built up in the engine case. That way the oil drains easier and quicker.

I always fill the oil filter full of oil before I install it. Just like Rick said above, The idea is to prevent oil starvation the first couple seconds after the change when you start the car.

Junitari is correct as well. Make sure to put a thin coat of oil around the circumference of the o-ring on the oil filter so it won't stick the next time you take it off. Just dip your finger into the oil, and spread it across the top of the o-ring.

Also, look into buying a fumotovalve. I have one, and I don't mind doing my oil changes anymore, because it makes it so much easier.

http://www.fumotovalve.com

But on my girlfriends 91 Honda Civic, I cannot fill the filter, since the filter sits horizontal on the back of the motor. Why the hell the engineers at Honda designed it this way is besides me. And I get the added benefit of changing the oil in that car every 3000 miles. Thanks Honda

Kurlee Daddee
    (THE ORIGINAL)
    Last edited by KurleeDaddeeWRX; 12-08-2002 at 10:41 PM.

What's this oil starvation stuff? The only thing that's dry is the oil filter.

Originally posted by tuca33

Finally!!!
    Someone speaking my language
    I hope we are correct..
    Tuca
    WTF is that supposed to mean?

Originally posted by junaitari

WTF is that supposed to mean?
    I mean that someone finally have the same opinion as me
    Its very common to fill the filter with oil in any car..
    If you dont fill then the oil pump will take more time to spread oil to the engine cause first the oil pump will fill in the new filter,,so after that it can spread the oil to the engine.
    so filling the filter makes the car run dry only for a few seconds.
    UNDERSTOOD???????????????
    Tuca
    2002 Black Wagon WRX
    315HP With the PM-ID

Ummm, as far as I know, when you drain the oil, there's a film that stays stuck to the sides and all the moving parts (like you can never get the oil jug completely empty) so you're not running completely dry. You still have oil there. I'm sure some oil still stays in the lines too. If the oil pump does its job and gets the oil to the engine quickly, then there's nothing to worry about. In my opinion.

I still don't think it's necessary to warm the engine, either.

I'm not trying to be an ******* by the way...

Edit:
    I just looked in the manual for the WRX. It says that you warm the engine to ease the draining of the oil, just like I stated. I'd never heard of the suspended particle thing.

It also says nothing about filling the oil filter with oil.
    Last edited by junaitari; 12-09-2002 at 10:21 AM.

Originally posted by junaitari

I still don't think it's necessary to warm the engine, either.
    Hey,,,Warming the engine a little is to get this film of oil in the engine.
    If your car is cold ,,then you will not have that film ..
    Try changing your oil with a cold car (unused for more than 24 hours)and dont fill the filter with oil.
    Try that as you think there is no problem.
    TUca
    2002 Black Wagon WRX
    315HP With the PM-ID

tan
    the temporary starvation is due to that the oil needs to get to the filter, thus filling the oil filter first.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.