Correct Oil change. - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Correct Oil change. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've never filled the filter and still had cars last over 100,000 miles before selling them. I guess I don't ...

I've never filled the filter and still had cars last over 100,000 miles before selling them. I guess I don't see the point in doing it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by junaitari
    I've never filled the filter and still had cars last over 100,000 miles before selling them. I guess I don't see the point in doing it.
    You dont know what you are saying..
    thats why you say that crap.
    This is not the information people need to be in doubt.
    If you dont know really what you saying,,go to NASCIOC and discuss there that this is not necessary.
    I am not a car expert,,but in many ways(forum search and reasearch,,technical race car teams.),,everyone knows that when they make a oil change.
    you are going against what is the real thing.
    Tuca
    2002 Black Wagon WRX
    315HP With the PM-ID

Originally posted by tuca33

If you dont know really what you saying,,go to NASCIOC and discuss there that this is not necessary.
    I am not a car expert,,but in many ways(forum search and reasearch,,technical race car teams.),,everyone knows that when they make a oil change.
    Tuca
    Right, and who's the one that came on here asking how to correctly change the oil? I've changed my own oil since I started driving 10 years ago, so I can speak from my own experiences.

I just find it funny that it wouldn't say anything about filling the filter in the manual if it was so important. I've never done it on any of my cars. I've seen no adverse effects because of this. That is why I say I feel it's unnecessary.

Originally posted by tuca33

Tuca
    Easy there, tuca. This is a difference of opinion of two members, that's all. No need to get ugly.

As for filling the oil filter first, I've never done, never heard of it being done. Furthermore, I drove a rotary engine car (RX7) for 13 years, and you know what? The filter mounts on top of the engine, upside down. You can't fill it first.

I think you owe junaitari an apology. Maybe you've forgotten the days when people used to treat you the way you are treating him.

Now, behave!

Peace,

Curtis

I Support ClubWRX
    OK Boys, enough with the name calling. That's completely uncalled for and really sucks in the technical forums. You guys are getting way too excited over an oil change.

Keep it nice and civil, Ok?
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

Originally posted by TurbeauxREX

Easy there, tuca. This is a difference of opinion of two members, that's all. No need to get ugly.

As for filling the oil filter first, I've never done, never heard of it being done. Furthermore, I drove a rotary engine car (RX7) for 13 years, and you know what? The filter mounts on top of the engine, upside down. You can't fill it first.

I think you owe junaitari an apology. Maybe you've forgotten the days when people used to treat you the way you are treating him.

Now, behave!

Peace,

Curtis
    Thank you.

Originally posted by GV27
    OK Boys, enough with the name calling. That's completely uncalled for and really sucks in the technical forums. You guys are getting way too excited over an oil change.

Keep it nice and civil, Ok?

I don't recall any name calling. But I'm sorry, we are getting too excited.
    Last edited by junaitari; 12-09-2002 at 10:24 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    You can do the change cold, but there are a variety of reasons for having it warm. What difference does it make? Just let the car idle for 5 minutes, no big deal.

I do find that having it really hot makes the oil filter tough to break loose. I either let it cool for a couple of minutes, or not warm it completely up if I'm starting from cold.

Same goes for pre-oiling the filter. Not necessary, but probably a good idea and definitely not a bad idea. And again, what's the big deal? Just pour a little in there and screw it into place.

No need to let it idle for awhile after the change. The oil flows through the engine quite quickly. As soon as the oil pressure light goes off, you're ready to go. It's not really any different than starting a cold car. The oil's down in the pan either way.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is to make a quick check for leaks after the oil pressure comes up.

Chris
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1993 Honda CBR600F2

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by junaitari

I don't recall any name calling. But I'm sorry, we are getting too excited.
    Well, just don't start then.

1993 Honda CBR600F2

Originally posted by GV27

Well, just don't start then.
    Don't worry, I'm done.

Sorry Junatari
    I got to excited too
    We both have a reason..
    TUca
    2002 Black Wagon WRX
    315HP With the PM-ID

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I've always changed my oil warm.. never worried to fill the filter since there's plenty of oil to lubricate the engine already in there.. heck, you can run a car for a few seconds with all the oil drained out and it doesn't hurt anything, I wouldn't suggest doing it for long periods of time though

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.