White smoke from turbo and exhaust pipe???
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on White smoke from turbo and exhaust pipe??? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've ben feeling like I have a boost leak. I only get the full performance from the car about every ...

White smoke from turbo and exhaust pipe???

I've ben feeling like I have a boost leak. I only get the full performance from the car about every 5 times I go ful throttle. I was at a stop sign yesterday and my best friend called me to say I was blowing white smoke from the tailpipes. I instantly pulled over. Sure enough. It then started coming out from under the hood. Once I poped the hood I saw the same smoke coming from the turbo area. Note: My car is 100% stock with only 32,000 miles on it. I bought it used about 3,000 miles ago from a dealership.

Is there an oil line that goes to the turbo? Could there be a leak there? Is that why I have smoke comin from there and the same from the exhaust? I'm really worried about driving my car now. Anyone have any sudgestions? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

yes, there is an oil line going to the turbocharger. Is there any oil leaking from the car? Does the smoke come out from the exhaust pipe? White smoke usually indicates water / coolant in the cylinder; leaking head gasket. Blue smoke is oil.

Look under the hood, toward the firewall, you will see a heatshield there. Check for oil. In any case, I would take it to the dealer.
    2008 Evo X GSR. Custom tuned, Works panel filter, Intercooler pipe upgrade, TBE.

Smoke

I can't see any oil under the car. Yes, the smoke comes out from the exhaust pipe. There is also smoke that steams up from the turbo, I just can't see where it's coming from. For all I know, It could be coming from somethgin else under/around the turbo. If it only smokes occasionally, could that still be a head gasket? That would really suck.

Is there anyway to test for a blown head gasket w/o taking it to the dealer?

I looked in both overflow/top off coolant spots on the car and the radiator fluid looks perfect. No milky substance or oil present. How can I tell if it's the turbo "leaking?" If it is the turbo, how would that cause white smoketo pour out of the turbo and the exhaust? I did a search on line and realized the factory warranty is covering the drive train up to 3 years, so I think I'm saved no matter which of the two "is broke."

Quote Originally Posted by 04WRXR View Post
    I looked in both overflow/top off coolant spots on the car and the radiator fluid looks perfect. No milky substance or oil present. How can I tell if it's the turbo "leaking?" If it is the turbo, how would that cause white smoketo pour out of the turbo and the exhaust pipe? I did a search on line and realized the factory warranty is covering the drive train up to 3 years, so I think I'm saved no matter which of the two "is broke."
    I think you mean a "boost leak." A "turbo leak" would mean fluids are leaking out of it, which is a bad thing. I don't think you have a boost leak or a turbo leak. I'm very curious what a "light light smoke scent" is, though. That gave me a chuckle.

oops!!old thread,,sorry..
    Last edited by kurtdaniel; 08-16-2010 at 06:29 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.