Camshaft Position Sensor CEL
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Camshaft Position Sensor CEL within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; This past week I've had this CEL come on and I dont know if I should worry about it or ...

Camshaft Position Sensor CEL

This past week I've had this CEL come on and I dont know if I should worry about it or not. My mechanic thinks its probably just the sensor going bad but I dont know. Today I installed my Megan turboback exhaust and then went out for the test drive and it came on again. This is what the read out says: Code:P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor A - Bank 1 Circuit Malfunctions. Also my boost levels are lower than stock, its only reading at like .05/.06 on the stock turbo gauge. Also how much would one of these sensors go for? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

From personal experience this is the weirdest CEL I've ever gotten. Why? Becuase I've had it come and go a few times. I've never gotten the sensor replaced beacuse the light would go away. The one thing I would suggest however is to get a CEL scanner or something similar to monitor the sensor. Sometimes the CEL doesn't always come on if you're getting this error...at least in my experience.

I had one of these http://www.davisnet.com/drive/produc...p_products.asp
    and it's plugged in 24x7. I take it out now and then and scan the trouble log for errors and such. You can pick one of these up at an Autozone for $90. It's a CEL reader, and Data logger also.

Honestly though, give it some time and see if the light goes away. This was caused more or less from redlining the engine too much and it freaked out on you. Since I rod my car I can tell you that's why you got it If it doesn't go away after...a week. You'll need to get a new sensor and install it. maybe $100-120.

Registered User Reverand Hustle's Avatar
    I've also had this CEL come on. I may have a different experience as I'm running a 2008 STi, completely stock except for suspension. The CEL with P0340 came on after I ran my oil to about 4000k, maybe even over. My mistake. Light came on. Someone suggested taking some brake cleaner to the sensor and changing the oil a couple times. It was easy to do, and it actually worked. Light didn't come back on for a while.

However, the light came back on some months later. Not sure why this time. I tried cleaning it and changing my oil. Still didn't stay off. Tried buying a new sensor from Autozone and Advance. A Duralast and a Beck/Arnley, neither fit! The screw placement was off. So I went to the dealer. They wanted to sell it to me for $120 and wouldn't let me return it if that wasn't the problem. Instead I spent the money on having them check out the problem. They couldn't figure it out. All they did was flush my engine oil and clean the valves, charged me $150 and the light came back on within 10 miles. They told me at the stealership that I needed to change my oil again in 500 miles and see if the light turned off. If not, they would have to take my engine apart to figure out the problem.

I would suggest trying to clean the sensor first, check the wiring, and change your oil if needed. If that doesn't work, buy the sensor from the stealership for $120. But do NOT have those jokers look at your vehicle.

And let me know what happens, if you are able to keep the light off, that would be informative.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    The sensor is there to tell you if your timing belt jumped. Depending on which CEL you got, you should take off your cover and line it up to make sure it hasn't. That is a big deal.

The sensors/connectors/wiring also do go bad.

Yes you need to address it ASAP - it sounds like you are in limp mode and running wastegate spring pressure only. They do that for a reason.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    Are the cam and crank sensors identical parts? If so can they be used to troubleshoot by substituting one for the other? Or is it the TGV sensor I'm thinking of? I know I've seen two identical sensors in two different parts of the motor but it's been a while since I've needed to work on my car so I don't recall exactly. Another avenue to pursue that could save some $.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.