What to use to clean engine bay/components?

This is a discussion on What to use to clean engine bay/components? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, I have my 02 WRX wagon torn apart right now. My up pipe precat broke so I had ...

What to use to clean engine bay/components?

Hey guys, I have my 02 WRX wagon torn apart right now. My up pipe precat broke so I had to disassemble. Originally I thought it was the turbo so I took it completly off and thats when I found the precat had broke. Anyways...I have spilled a lot of anti-freeze and lubricant (not sure the name but its not WD40) around the turbo/up pipe area. What is the best cleaning spray to use that will not dry out the rubber hoses but still get the stuff off. It would be nice to clean most of the engine bay while I wait for my new up pipe. The down pipe came in yesterday but of course UPS had to reschedule my up pipe for Monday.

What is the best stuff to use on the throttle body and turbo viens also? Can I just use rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip to clean these parts? Or should I not even do this?

Would Windex or other household cleaning spray be good for the rest of the engine bay?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I would just use brake cleaner or some kind of degreaser and wipe it out. Anything you use will dry it out really so probably just a lithium grease to lubricate the bushings again? I used to wash cars and that's all we used to do it, but then again we didn't really care about other people's cars. Maybe somebody has a better solution for your case.

simple green perhaps?
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by cavallino333
    simple green perhaps?
    This is what I have used for years ... in fact I just used it a few hours ago.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Just don't use a degreaser or "Gunk". Does more harm than good.
    2008 Evo X GSR. Custom tuned, Works panel filter, Intercooler pipe upgrade, TBE.

Thumbs up

Simple green for sure.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by dcpatters
    Just don't use a degreaser or "Gunk". Does more harm than good.
    Eh, It's always worked weel for me. Get the foamy stuff.

Simple grean works well. As does brake cleaner for spot cleaning. Don't forget a toothbrush. An oversized brass "toothbrush" is very helful as well.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

Grease lighting works for everything....