02 Transmission Problem

This is a discussion on 02 Transmission Problem within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 2002 Subaru WRX with 55K miles on the car. I just bought the car about 4 weeks ...

02 Transmission Problem

I have a 2002 Subaru WRX with 55K miles on the car. I just bought the car about 4 weeks ago. Today when I was driving the car and I shifted into second gear at around 5K RPM's (not speed shifting), there was a really loud bang and then a lot of clanking noises. I came to a stop and had some trouble getting the car out of second gear and back into neutral. Then, i couldn't get the car back into second. Then there was constant clanking. What happened?
    02 Blue WRX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jms95
    I have a 2002 Subaru WRX with 55K miles on the car. I just bought the car about 4 weeks ago. Today when I was driving the car and I shifted into second gear at around 5K RPM's (not speed shifting), there was a really loud bang and then a lot of clanking noises. I came to a stop and had some trouble getting the car out of second gear and back into neutral. Then, i couldn't get the car back into second. Then there was constant clanking. What happened?
    Your 2nd gear decided it wanted to live in West Virginia, and lost it's teeth.

FWIW - I'm planning on the RA gearset next year, and I'm not a mechanic by any means

Glassbox go boom?

www.gruppe-s.com sells tranny stuff, lots of other sites too. I've always been careful with my tranny - it's an 02 and I'm stage II, and will be swapping in a VF34 pretty soon. Rev match and get into the gear nice and easy, then make power. If you need better accelleration - slip the clutch a bit, a clutch is much less to replace than a transmission.

I'm not saying you've been just dumping the clutch, but I am saying that being kind on shifts will prolong any transmissions life, and it's related components as well.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

I've only owned the car for a few weeks and have decided that the previous owner probably drove the ____ out of it. Do you know where I can get factory parts besides the dealership.
    02 Blue WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    Your 2nd gear decided it wanted to live in West Virginia, and lost it's teeth.
    That was to funny
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Nothing about that is funny!!!
    02 Blue WRX

Will a 04-05 WRX gearset work in my transmission or are they completely different?
    02 Blue WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    Will a 04-05 WRX gearset work in my transmission or are they completely different?

The 04-05 will work and are stronger/thicker gears then what was in your 02 to start with. They are a better buy. Might also want to look into RA gear sets.

My car is basically stock engine wise and I don't run a car very hard at all. So, what is the cheapest and best route to get my car running and reliable. I don't speed shift, don't run it hard, and don't race.
    02 Blue WRX

My car is basically stock engine wise and I don't run a car very hard at all. So, what is the cheapest and best route to get my car running and reliable. I don't speed shift, don't run it hard, and don't race.
    Cheapest option, buy a used 02 or 03 tranny from someone who is upgrading to an RA gearset.

or, a little more - buy an RA gearset

or a bit more - look into a 04-05 tranny complete

wanna go nuts - look into the STI swap, with the driveline components it gets expensive
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

I Support ClubWRX
    Sounds like the stock tranny would be your best bet. It's not that the tranny is glass, it's that people with abuse it, toss a ton of power to it, or both and expect it to run forever. If you are on near stock power levels and dont launch, dont full boost 1st and 2nd all the time, and dont speed shift then you should be ok.