question for the uppipe installers

This is a discussion on question for the uppipe installers within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Uppipe up pipe up-pipe Question about a chirp sound, rattle sound, cant figure what it is sound. Ok, I gutted ...

question for the uppipe installers

Uppipe up pipe up-pipe

Question about a chirp sound, rattle sound, cant figure what it is sound.

Ok, I gutted and installed an uppipe. I'm feel aquainted more with the underside of the car than the drivers seat now.

In the process, I had to remove the midpipe/downpipe. 60k on this exhaust. Broke the bolts that connect that mid to cat pipe where the donut is. The donut was not in good shape, in fact, it was splitting at the edge. Found some bolts, washers, buttoned it up on reinstall. I cant feel any air around it, besides, it burns when its hot... OUCH!

When I let off the gas, I hear a fluttering chirp sound. Its not always there, just when I press and release under load. I hear a rattle, but I'm pretty sure its exhaust shield related. Would a donut cause this flutter/chirp sound? Is that the wastegate? What the heck is it? Car is running great. I just put redline 75w90ns in the case today, 75w90 in the rear diff, and mobil 1 in the engine. WOW (of course the sound was there before I did the fluid exchange but let me tell you, it really is a world of difference with that beautiful gold fluid in there).

So do you thinks I'm hear'n a leak when the exhaust vibrates or is this a normal sound after you remove that tiny cat. Sitting idle, its pretty quiet. I cant hear air rushing through a hole, even when I put my head under the car when its running. Any suggestions, tips, pointers? I'm a worry-aholic.

I'm pretty sure I buttoned all of the exhaust up well when I did the uppipe. It almost sounds like its coming from under the car but its really hard to tell.

thanks
    j

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I got a little wastegate flutter when I did my uppie and 3rd cat, but I dont notice it much now. Either the car learned around it, or I did. Also, its always a good idea to retorque exhaust bolts after you do an install, I developed a leak after a day or so, and I retorqued everything again and I was golden. That was like a year ago.

So wastegate sound is a flutter.... I've heard it in videos but I've never owned anything turbo. Perhaps what I have is a wastegate flutter that I hear coupled with the donut leak. I still have the two main cats. I wouldnt imagine that I should be able to hear anything other than a slightly louder turbo spool.

thanks
    j

I had a similar noise after my UP/DP install that ended up being that DP/Midpipe joint. I'm not sure how it happened but one bolt was loose and exhaust was escaping, evidenced by black marks on the gasket to that side.

Check that gasket and the bolts. I used that copper spray gasket sealer when I did mine as well, for extra insurance.

Wastegate flutter won't happen after you let off the gas.
    06 S40 T5 AWD
    Previous: 2004 WRX
    05 CBR600F4i

Ok, because it doesnt happen instantly. Say I shift at 3200rpm, and let it come down to say 2000rpm , thats when I hear this very slight, but audible whistle/chirp/bird stuck in my pipe.... I thought maybe the engine movement is slightly twisting the donut to leak, the donut is pretty shoddy and I was hearing the normal flutter because there was some exhaust escaping. Flutter better not be from spiking, cause the only engine mod is that uppipe. I'm not touching the wg actuator arm yet.

I didnt realize that there is a real flutter until I searched. I thought I was making up the term for the car but it seems there are plenty of situations that cause flutter. According to my stocker gauge, boost isnt spiking (of course who knows how reliable that is) but it could be due to the new volume of gas that is hitting the turbo from a catless uppipe. Perhaps the ECU is smart enough to adjust to it. New and unfamilliar sounds scare me but if they're normal I'll keep on truck'n

I might just replace the donut for good measure since it was looking torn up from me pulling the exhaust apart and put some stronger exhaust bolts on there. That joint pulls the two pieces together so I imagine leakage there is a possibility if it shifts/moves from vibration or engine movement. I would think that I would hear an exhaust leak pretty well when i'm on the throttle and I dont so this could need replacement.

j

Quote Originally Posted by udelslayer
    Ok, because it doesnt happen instantly. Say I shift at 3200rpm, and let it come down to say 2000rpm , thats when I hear this very slight, but audible whistle/chirp/bird stuck in my pipe.... I thought maybe the engine movement is slightly twisting the donut to leak, the donut is pretty shoddy and I was hearing the normal flutter because there was some exhaust escaping. Flutter better not be from spiking, cause the only engine mod is that uppipe. I'm not touching the wg actuator arm yet.

I didnt realize that there is a real flutter until I searched. I thought I was making up the term for the car but it seems there are plenty of situations that cause flutter. According to my stocker gauge, boost isnt spiking (of course who knows how reliable that is) but it could be due to the new volume of gas that is hitting the turbo from a catless uppipe. Perhaps the ECU is smart enough to adjust to it. New and unfamilliar sounds scare me but if they're normal I'll keep on truck'n

I might just replace the donut for good measure since it was looking torn up from me pulling the exhaust apart and put some stronger exhaust bolts on there. That joint pulls the two pieces together so I imagine leakage there is a possibility if it shifts/moves from vibration or engine movement. I would think that I would hear an exhaust leak pretty well when i'm on the throttle and I dont so this could need replacement.

j
    I always heard the flutter when I was on part throttle, part boost, never heard it at WOT, but maybe the car/road noise was overpowering it. I never had any spiking issues either. I used all new gaskets except for that donut, mine was in good shape so I chanced it and it worked. If the donut looks bad, replace it though. You may or may not hear a small exhaust leak depending on the volume of your car, but a post turbo leak like that wont really hurt performance, it just sounds bad. A pre turbo leak will be pretty loud though. I still got full boost pressure on the gauge, but Im sure I wasnt getting full power due to less exhaust gas flow.

it must have been the donut. I dont hear the sound... man those donuts are nasty after 60k. I did my coolant today too with some watter wetter. pretty nice stuff car is better than new now!