Boost problems, or lack of boost that is!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Boost problems, or lack of boost that is! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Here's the problem. I just got my car tuned last week, and my mechanic said my car was running excellent. ...

Boost problems, or lack of boost that is!

Here's the problem. I just got my car tuned last week, and my mechanic said my car was running excellent. My boost was set at 18 psi when I got it back, and was moving pretty fast at that. Yesterday I noticed, when I accelerated the speed wasn't there, I was only pushing 14-15 psi of boost. So, I looked under the hood, to check the boost controller, it looked fine, then I ran the car again, same results. I then adjusted the boost controller to give me less boost, around 8 psi, and that worked just fine, but when I went to adjust my boost to the max of 25 psi, it still only put out 14-15 psi again. There are no funny sounds or anything else wrong with the car. The boost line to the turbo looks secure. Any suggestions, before I call my mechanic and have to drop more $$$!
    Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Here are all my engine mods:

Ported VF22 Turbo I can push 25psi of max boost, but most times keep it at 18-20psi
    STI Pink Injectors
    Walbro 210lph Fuel Pump

Greddy Front Mount Intercooler
    HKS Super Sequential Blow off valve welded on FMIC pipes
    Silicon Hoses and couplers so it does not explode under heavy pressure

Gruppe-S Uppipe with Steel Gasket
    Helix V2 Downpipe with Steel Gasket, the downpipe is off at the moment, and the both cats are on.
    Prodrive Oval Tip Axle Back
    Turbo XS Shorty Intake

STI RA Version 6 Gear-Set transmission cryo treated with Micro Polishing
    Console Bezel with 30psi Boost Gauge
    manual Boost Controller
    Optima battery
    TurboXS Unichip custom map to what I have minus the FMIC

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Please help me

Can someone please help me out here????

I Support ClubWRX
    Might be time to upgrade to a GM boost solindoe (sp). It was my understanding that the stock one wouldnt hold 22 psi for to long.

On a side note what in the world are you doing controll boost through a MBC. Shouldnt the ECU be doing what. If you are just cutting back boost and not remapping the ecu wouldnt you be running rich as crap with only 8 psi peak boost on a 22 psi tune?
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Thanks

Thanks for the info! Yeah I know I need to reflash my ECU, I've been lazy about that. In fact I need to upgrade to a new ECU and boost controller.

I'm looking to put about $2,500 into the car soon, looking at new, bigger turbos, fuel pumps, new catbacks, new ecu, and boost contollers. The former owner thinks that I can add another 100-150 HP and still keep the tranny in the safe zone. I'm wondering if my FMIC and up/down pipes will handle the increase in power?

Ohhh yeah, I need to take the cats off, they were on for the winter, and my state inspection, all this road salt in Pa sucks!

I Support ClubWRX
    For starters who tuned your car? Secondly a vf-22 is more then enough power to kill a RA gearset with abuse. If you dont abuse your car then the RA gearset should last awhile, but putting a "power" limit on it is the wrong thing to do.

I still dont understand your whole playing with the MBC idea. Once it was tuned for X amount of boost you shouldnt alter the boost unless you are switching maps. You more then likely have a boost leak somewhere.

As for your next mod I'd get rid of the BC and just get a proper tune. You wont find any stronger UP/DP then what you have now. They will handle just about any bolt on turbo that the ej205 can safely handle. Same with the fmic. If you do upgrade your turbo you will need new injectors, a tune, and the turbo of course. Your exhaust system now is up to par.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Great info!

Thank you so much for the info. Looks like I'll be taking it back to my mechanic, and have him check all over for leaks and get my ECU re-tuned.

Yeah, I forgot to add, the former owner said the same thing about the injectors. If I put something like a 20G turbo on, he thought 740cc injectors might do the trick. My current injectors are 550cc or 565cc.

I know my exhaust ia already good, but I'm looking at those new titanium catbacks. The increase in hp they give is cool, but I want something that makes a little more noise than what I have now, you know that super super deep rumbling sound that the boxer engine can make.

You think my fuel pump will handle an increase in power?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.