Stinky exhaust??

This is a discussion on Stinky exhaust?? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I bought my 03 wagon from an older guy that used it for communting only with about 80k on it...felt ...

Unhappy Stinky exhaust??

I bought my 03 wagon from an older guy that used it for communting only with about 80k on it...felt safe enough not to do a compression check and didn't notice any abnormalities. Since then, I have gone catless with borla hush exhaust and COBB AccessPort. At about 90k I started noticing that my exhaust was really potent smelling, kinda like burnin oil. I checked to confirm , and sure enough my car burns about a quart for every 2k I drive. My question is should I just live with it until I can ante up the money for a rebuild or a newer motor or is there a simpler remedy that would help? Also, are there any other common issues that might be contributing to this other than just worn rings? Thanks for any input in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    As scary as it may seem I think Subaru would probaly tell you that is normal usage of oil. If it got any worst then that I'd be worried, but at that rate I'd feel ok with just adding some every couple of fill ups.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

ODJ
    Quote Originally Posted by jrbitzer
    Since then, I have gone catless
    No cats always make for interesting exhaust smells. I'm not saying you should ignore oil consumption, just be aware that any unburned fuel is going to make it all the way out of your exhaust all the way to your nose.
    UNSPOILT BY PROGRESS

Well, I guess that makes me feel a little better...I know that these motors go a lot longer than 100k if you take care of them properly...and it's my hope that I've managed to stay on the good side of that average. I suppose the best thing that I can do for the engine to keep my odds good would be to use synthetic oil. Great input, thanks alot.