AC Compressor Removal - Need help!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on AC Compressor Removal - Need help! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Anyone ever removed their AC compressor on an 02 WRX? Do you have to take the intake off to do ...

AC Compressor Removal - Need help!

Anyone ever removed their AC compressor on an 02 WRX? Do you have to take the intake off to do this? There's a bolt in the back under the intake that I can't get to. Please help! I don't want to have to pay the suby dealership $1100 if I can do it myself.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

thanks guys

first, let me thank everyone who replied. the timely manner of your responses cut my time by 1/1

Anyway, removing the intake is unnecessary for removing the A/C compressor on an 02 WRX. However, the both belts and alternator must be removed. The compressor cannot be removed from the aluminum mounting bracket while still attached to the car because of the two horizontal bolts on top. The whole mounting bracket must be removed. I believe there are four bolts holding it to the block. Two on the left (facing engine), one on the right, and one in the back. Removing the one in the back is somewhat tricky. You will need a 3/8" knuckle joint on a 14mm socket to get this loose. Don't plan on using low-quality sockets made in Haiti either. The awkward angle combined with the factory torque will, more than likely, snap a cheap socket into 3 pieces. My Craftsman socket held up, but there have been times when I've broke a Craftsman and had to borrow a Snap-On to get the job done. Snake the socket in from the top, not from and angle where the alternator is mounted-this will put too much stress on the socket. Twist as hard as you can and when you hear a snap, hopefully shards of your socket haven't just been turned into projectiles. After you get this bolt out, all about another hour for reinstallation.

FYI: If your A/C goes out, don't take it to the suby dealer! They wanted $2000 in parts and labor. Get a helper and do the major repairs yourself!
    Suby Price:
    Compressor~$670
    Condenser~350
    HP hose ~180
    expansion valve~120
    Labor~the difference

I paid:
    Compressor- $425, free shipping - discountacparts.com
    Condenser ~172 - rockauto.com
    Expansion Valve ~120 - suby dealership is only ppl that sells this one
    labor + flush + refill 350 labor includes exp valve replacement
    hose fix $45 done at a place that fixes hydraulic hoses
    grand total $1112
    savings over suby dealership $888
    Last edited by kwright69_02; 07-01-2006 at 10:37 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.