Radiator Filler Surface Rust
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Radiator Filler Surface Rust within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I did a search but didn't get the information I wanted. I went out today and checked my oil and ...

I Support ClubWRX

Radiator Filler Surface Rust

I did a search but didn't get the information I wanted.

I went out today and checked my oil and coolant. My oil was fine, so I took the radiator cap off, which kind of stuck for a moment, and noticed my coolant was a HAIR empty. But I also noticed that around the INNER EDGE of the Raidator Filler, what you put the radiaor cap on, had surface rust all around it. The coolant looks fine, but I don't want to have to deal with rusty coolant down the line.

So I think my radiator cap is leaking, since there is a little crusty remnants of antifreeze all over the outer circumference of the radiator filler.

So my question is is, what do you think I should do?

Should I take my car to the MOD friendly dealer and claim warranty, because I really don't want an entire rusty radiator system, which will happen if I don't act now.

Is there any way to kill the rust around the inner edge of the radiator filler?

I think my radiator cap is the culprit of the rust and the crusty remnants of antifreeze. So I am going to replace my radiator cap.
    Should I go with a STI cap. Like this thread is talking about?

STi Radiator Cover

I would like some comments and or suggestions.

Thanks,
    Kurlee Daddee
    (THE ORIGINAL)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I did a search at NASIOC and got this thread describing the same thing.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...t=radiator+cap

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...t=radiator+cap

Anyone else notice this on their cars? My car only has 13,000 miles on it. I am thinking about replacing the radiator cap. Do you think I should take it to the dealer and have them replace it for free?

Kurlee Daddee
    (THE ORIGINAL)
    Last edited by KurleeDaddeeWRX; 12-01-2002 at 09:14 PM.

Saw the same thing last week when installing my VF34. It did concern me slightly. I dont think it will cause any major damage. That reminds me to take a better look at it to see what part is actually oxidizing. I also had some small flecks of black paint paint hanging around that area too. Need to flush my coolant system soon anyway. Not that flushing the system would fix the problem. The stainless cap you mentioned might though.
    2002 WRX Sedan-Silver
    Turbo XS UTEC Stage IV (VF34)+TMIC, STI RA gears, Exedy clutch/flywheel

I Support ClubWRX
    Only one other person has seen this problem? I know there has to be more of you out there. Especially the ones with more than 30K on their cars. Come on. Comment sometime.

Kurlee Daddee
    (THE ORIGINAL)

Hey Kurleee, I use to apply some high temp moly grease to the radiator cap for issues like these. In my 1973 2002tii, I had the same problem, so I did a complete coolant flush and refilled. Starting from new again...and after a week it I noticed rust around the cap again. I applied grease and the problem is intermittent now.

Do a flush.
    Replace radiator cap (CHEAP fix!!)
    apply a little grease to the inside edge of the cap.

It's normal to see some rust around the edge there...so don't sweat it. Just make sure you do a flush every 1 or 2 years.

-LostLamb
    Uh guys? After I read this post I went out to take a look at my WRX. There seems to be some bird poop on the drivers side A-pillar and almost all of the windshield washer fluid is gone. Should I trade it in for a Ford ZX2 or just light in on fire?

God I miss my rex. -Koyokid

Rest in peace Koyokid.

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by LostLamb
    Hey Kurleee, I use to apply some high temp moly grease to the radiator cap for issues like these. In my 1973 2002tii, I had the same problem, so I did a complete coolant flush and refilled. Starting from new again...and after a week it I noticed rust around the cap again. I applied grease and the problem is intermittent now.

Do a flush.
    Replace radiator cap (CHEAP fix!!)
    apply a little grease to the inside edge of the cap.

It's normal to see some rust around the edge there...so don't sweat it. Just make sure you do a flush every 1 or 2 years.

-LostLamb
    No, not too much rust. Just surface rust around the inside edge of the filler neck. The coolant looks fine. I will keep my eye on it and the antifreeze. I just don't want to look in the coolant one day and find it orange. Thanks for the replies.

Kurlee Daddee
    (THE ORIGINAL)

Hey Kurlee, if your coolant is orange when you look in it....then something else is rusting. It won't be just your radiator cap, or rather it won't be the radiator cap that is your problem .

-LostLamb
    Uh guys? After I read this post I went out to take a look at my WRX. There seems to be some bird poop on the drivers side A-pillar and almost all of the windshield washer fluid is gone. Should I trade it in for a Ford ZX2 or just light in on fire?

God I miss my rex. -Koyokid

Rest in peace Koyokid.

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by LostLamb
    Hey Kurlee, if your coolant is orange when you look in it....then something else is rusting. It won't be just your radiator cap, or rather it won't be the radiator cap that is your problem .

-LostLamb
    I was just saying that I hope the surface rust from the filler neck doesn't spread and start corroding the entire cooling system. I hope Subaru used some decent antifreeze that has corrosion protection in it.

It hasn't yet spread. I was just a little worried about it. You would think a new car with only 13K wouldn't have rust in the cooling system already.

Kurlee Daddee
    (THE ORIGINAL)

I Support ClubWRX
    Bump again since no-one else commented. Come on guys. People out there had to have seen some type of surface rust or corrosion.

Kurlee Daddee
    (THE ORIGINAL)

Old topic, but what ever came of this for you?
    '12 WRB Sedan

I Support ClubWRX
    Nothing really. I can still see the surface rust, but it hasn't gotten much worse. The coolant is still green, and there are no bits like I described above floating anymore. I just decided to stop worrying about it, until it gets noticeably worse.

I Support ClubWRX
    I knew I wasn't the only one with this problem.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...=overflow+tank

Yep, I have the same problem. Took it to subaru and they are supposed to order the 03 alluminum top to replace the 02 black painted top. Should be calling me any day once they get the part in. I just took a rag and cleaned out as much of the paint as possible, but it will be nice having a non painted cover on.

My Mods

"The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel" - Koyokid RIP

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by KanosWRX
    Yep, I have the same problem. Took it to subaru and they are supposed to order the 03 alluminum top to replace the 02 black painted top. Should be calling me any day once they get the part in. I just took a rag and cleaned out as much of the paint as possible, but it will be nice having a non painted cover on.
    I was going to ask this. What yr is your car Kurly?

I too noticed the '03+ get a non-painted top, but I never thought that it was made of a different material.

The STi cap is a good idea performance-wise, but people have reported radiator leaks from the increased pressure, so I think I'll hold off until I upgrade mine.
    Street Racer Emeritus
    '02 2.5L WRX - Retired

I just had my black tank on my 02 wrx replaced with the silver tank from the 03 under warranty, no more chances of paint coming off now

My Mods

"The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel" - Koyokid RIP

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.