05 WRX CEL on P0172 System too rich (Bank 1)
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 05 WRX CEL on P0172 System too rich (Bank 1) within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; New wrx owner here, I just bought a 05 WRX a little less than a month ago from the local ...

05 WRX CEL on P0172 System too rich (Bank 1)

New wrx owner here, I just bought a 05 WRX a little less than a month ago from the local subaru dealership. This car had just come off lease and according to the dealer the only modification done to this car was the window tint. Anyways at lunch today the check engine light came on. Everything seems to still be running fine, but after work I took it by autozone to have the code read it cameback with P0172 System too rich (Bank 1). The guy told me it could be a bad O2 sensor or that if I had put gas in the tank recently that I might not have tighten the gas cap up.

I told him that I hadn't filled up in over 2 weeks infact I was down to 1/4 tank and planned on getting gas tomorrow, and while I was at the dealership they told me repeatidly to make sure the gas cap was secure. Anyway his suggestion was to buy some gas additive and fill up to see if the light goes away. I took this as him trying to at least get a sell out of this and said no thanks.

I'm probably just going to put a bit of gas in tomorrow see if the light stays on and on Saturday take it in to the dealership, but before that I just wanted to check and see if there were any other suggestions that you guys had.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Problem resolved I guess. The check engine light went off lastnight while driving around town. I talked to the dealership this morning and the mechanic told me that it probably was a loose gas cap, but quoted the error code for that being P0045 I think. I told him I got it check at autozone and the code was P0172 so he told me it was probably a fluke in the system with a sensor misreading the emissions.

Cool glad to hear. Did you have the ECU reset?
    2008 Evo X GSR. Custom tuned, Works panel filter, Intercooler pipe upgrade, TBE.

Nah, he told me not to worry about taking it in so I said okay. The dealership is all the way on the other side of town so I just called in when the service department opened to see if they thought I still needed to come in.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.