First let me say "I have done a search"
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on First let me say "I have done a search" within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just didn't get the ressults I was looking for All I want to know is, what if any parts ...

First let me say "I have done a search"

I just didn't get the ressults I was looking for All I want to know is, what if any parts of the warranty will I void with JUST a turboback exhaust. No other mods!
    Thnx in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

There is no simple answer. It depends on your dealer.
    Find out whether there are 'mod friendly' dealers in your area.

Cheers,

Andrew

d00d do a damn search

jk

None if you keep your stock exhuast parts and bolt them back on before you go back to the dealer...

Not that I or anyone else would advocate getting back at SOA for their horrible warranty honoring policies...

It's not cheating. Much ...

It depends on the dealer. Some don't mind a lot of mods, others won't fix a squeaking strut if you've put in a turbo timer (What the ?). Beats me, to avoid any hassal with the cheap *astards I just take off almost all my mods everytime I go in for anything. Annoying but IMO worth it. I haven't done anything radical and never drive my WRX hard or abuse it, so they don't need to know I've got 230whp...

Wink

Kool
    Thanks guys

An exhaust shouldn't do jack to your warranty. There was a link that is2scooby posted a while back. A guy from the forum formerly known as i-club e-mailed SOA asking what will and won't void a warranty. The gist of the reply was that the only way to void a warranty is to take your car out of the country. If a problem occurs to or because of an aftermarket part, then SOA is not liable...duh. I printed out that letter, and I keep it in my car...just in case my dealer says something ludicrous about an aftermarket part voiding my warranty.
    Fahd

Floats like a butterfly and stings like when I pee!

hey WRXin.....if you could, please post the letter so we all could have some ammo against SOA ........thanks
    have you ever been 4 bagged ???

I'm getting tired of this subject.

If you want to know the truth about this matter, read these words. I've been there. There is no speculation, rumor or opinion here.

These are the facts:
    SOA will definitely give you a huge problem with warranty coverage if you install an aftermarket exhaust. They did it to me. In fact, they cited my Whiteline downlinks as one of the reasons they won't cover my suspension. They cited my EBC brake rotors as the reason they won't cover my braking system. Brake rotors are wear parts.

I don't want to hear about Magnusson Moss, either. Go ahead and depend upon it if you like, but it's only going to help you if you hire a lawyer. Last time I looked, lawyers got paid more than mechanics, so you'll be better off if you plan now to pay for your own repairs.

The dealer can't void your warranty. In reality, neither can Subaru; except in special cases. But SOA can refuse to provide warranty repairs and if you modify your car and SOA finds out, they'll do it to you too.

The trick is, never let the SOA District Rep. see the car. SOA is actively looking to avoid warranty liability associated with the WRX. SOA knows we're modifying these cars and they don't want to pay for the resulting damages. If you remove parts and reinstall stock parts, you probably still will be denied coverage because SOA reps are not all that dumb. Ususally, there is some evidence that leads them to the conclusion the car was modded and put back to stock. SOA has seen it all - hundreds of times. This isn't rocket science.

Many dealers will not call SOA. Keep your warranty claims at the dealer level and you might be OK. Dealers usually don't mind doing the work.

Like I said, I've been there on this problem. Had you done a decent search, you would have read these words of warning from at least ten other threads.

misterx

Originally posted by racerWRX
    hey WRXin.....if you could, please post the letter so we all could have some ammo against SOA ........thanks
    Well, I did a search and found the link; however, since it was on i-club and because it doesn't exist anymore the link was dead. When I get home I'll try to see if I saved it as a word document, and I'll post it if so.
    Fahd

I've seen the letter you're referring to in which SOA states flatly they will not void your warranty unless you go out of the country or in some other unlikely scenario.

They do not however state their entire policy as it applies to vehicle modification - which is a slightly different but related subject. By way of interest, the do state the use of an air freshner will not affect your warranty.

BTW - all of the information in my previous note is, as far as I know, factual with the exception of the "SOA is actively looking to avoid warranty liability associated with the WRX..." statement which is anecdotal but quite believeable. I have documentation associated with most of the other information I related.

misterx

I have to agree with Mr. X. Any mods will be an excuse for SOA to void your warranty right or wrong. Some companies/dealers are better at warranty work than other. So if you're having problem and think you're in the right, just be persitent or try a different dealer.

good luck...BlueMax

If you hack your intake and and bearing fails.... SOA will say you ran lean and caused detonation. Even if you didn't experience detonation, you can expect to pay a lawyer, with uncertain results of the outcome, to prove your intake hack did not cause the problem.

I think people think I'm a spoilsport to post this advice. I just believe people should know the potential liability they may face if they mod their cars. If you can't afford to pay for the repairs, don't do it. But don't stick your heads in the sand and think it can't happen to you. It can happen to you. It has happened to me. When SOA voided (voided is the wrong word, they refused to do repairs) my warranty, my mods were a godspeed uppipe, a cheap loud muffler, and some suspension and brake mods. Brake mods were pads, rotors (front) and steel braided hoses.

SOA does not like Mods. End of story.

Highly qualified SOA engineers designed your intake, and your exhaust in a manner which suits the intent of the automobile as a passenger car in the USDM. If you argue with SOA, its lawyers and engineers, you're probably going to lose. If you have the money to win the battle, you can pay for repairs and save a bunch.

If you removed your cats, you violated federal law. Try arguing that in court.

The moral of the story is, if you can't pay, don't play.

Gents, I do this warranty work for a living. Consider yourselves the beneficiaries of good advice. Free. If you think I'm wrong, go ahead and mod your car. The gamble is your choice.

I have made modifications to my WRX. If something goes wrong, I'll have to pay. SOA has told me so.... in writing.

misterx
    Last edited by MisterX; 12-01-2002 at 06:59 PM.

Thanx again for the great feedback!

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by WRXin'

Well, I did a search and found the link; however, since it was on i-club and because it doesn't exist anymore the link was dead. When I get home I'll try to see if I saved it as a word document, and I'll post it if so.
    Just replace the "i-club" part of the URL with "nasioc" and it should take you there.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

Originally posted by GV27

Just replace the "i-club" part of the URL with "nasioc" and it should take you there.
    Nope, that didn't work. Here's the link http://forums.i-club.com/forums/sho...warranty+voided if you want to try.
    Fahd

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.