It's getting very warm outside.....need A/C help - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on It's getting very warm outside.....need A/C help within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Turns out my problem was an o-ring failure on ones the shop had replaced. They figured they got a bad ...

kjb
    Turns out my problem was an o-ring failure on ones the shop had replaced. They figured they got a bad lot and did it under warranty. Keeping my fingers crossed from now on.

However, since I got it back I've had noise coming from under the glove box when I step on the gas. It sound like a fan whirring, or possibly the normal engine noise with some sound proofing missing. It gets louder the harder I accelerate, and doesn't seem to depend on rpm or speed. Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

So where did you find the after market expansion valve for $16???

Any way to "un-stick" the expansion valve?

Great writeup from everyone on this thread...

Thanks,
    Greg

This is great thread.... I also have similar problem.

Yes, tell us where you found it for $16!

Did you guys also replace the condenser after opening up the line?
    Last edited by WRXreX; 07-10-2010 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WRXreX View Post
    This is great thread.... I also have similar problem.

Yes, tell us where you found it for $16!

Did you guys also replace the condenser after opening up the line?
    When I did my repair, I just opened up the line, swapped the expansion valve and had the system recharged (i.e. pulled a vacuum then shot a new charge of refrigerant in it). I didn't replace any other component or flush the system mainly because I didn't think I needed to given the nature of the failure. Hindsight, probably should have swapped the receiver drier/accumulator. I wouldn't replace a condenser unless there was a hole in it. They can be flushed out in the event there is debris inside (perhaps caused by a compressor failure).

As for a cheaper source of AC parts, I found a local source that has traditionally had lower prices on AC parts. RACE Automotive Cooling in Lexington, KY. 859-233-7223. No affiliation... just had to buy some parts from them recently for another car and they were cheap. Also, try RockAuto.com. I just checked and they have an expansion valve for $24.
    2002 WRX Sedan - Silver (mostly stock) | 1991 Mazda Miata - Mariner Blue Pearl (highly modified 331cid V8)

cal
    Thanks for all the write-ups.

You can special order an expansion valve at Kragen for about $22. I tried to get to my expansion valve last weekend but I gave up because I couldn't get the blower out. I also couldn't separate the backside of the white plastic piece above it. I'll probably give it another go next weekend.

Great writeup! I have a 2002 that had same symptoms. Replaced the expansion valve per this thread a couple of months ago & vacuumed & recharged. I have a digital thermometer stuck in the vent & air is 42 - 46 degrees!
    Suggestions - vacuum system after replace valve & recharge by weight. Service manual calls for 1.3 min 1.5 max lbs.
    - I removed the blower assembly with upper part attached - see picture.
    - remove the light relays from the far right side after removing the glovebox. This is real easy and gives more room when removing blower.
    - evaporator valve special order AutoZone for about $17, part # EX10144C replacement for OEM 73531FE000
    - replace O-rings if you can. I could not find specs for the size in the manual, so I bought a general purpose kit. From what I measured with calipers, you need 3 pcs 13.8x2.5 mm and 2 pcs 10.8 x 2.4 mm plus one more (I forgot to measure) where the small tube meets the spacer at the engine compartment.
    I hope this helps.

oops, I tried to attach pic for blower assembly, but guess I need a host.

Anyone know what this might be?

Hi all!

I have a stock '03 WRX Sedan. I rarely have any problems with it so that is good. But in September of '08 the AC stopped blowing cold air. Took it to Subaru of Santa Monica cuz it was close to where I was working. Turns out there was a leak in one of the lines and they had to replace it.

They told me that they recommended replacing the expansion valve but it was still working. I decided against it because I was already spending over $500 and they wanted another $300 (They charged like $125 an hour I later found out).

I have a cabin air filter, I installed about 2.5 years ago...before the initial AC problem and will take it out today because I have just been putting it off.

It has been working fine ever since until today. It is not very hot thank God (high 80s) but I was sitting in line to get gas and was idling for about 2 minutes and I noticed that the air was no longer blowing cold and it was increasingly humid. The AC selector button was on and the vent redirection was set to blow through the front vents and switched to recirculate.

I checked the dash temp gauge to see if it was overheating but it was at normal. When I pulled up to the pump and gave it a little gas (not much), it started getting colder.

After pumping gas I drove off and it was just as cold as ever. I tried it through a drive-thru and was idling there for about 5-7 min and it worked fine the whole time.

Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by leebo View Post
    There was a metal brace on the right side that the glove box mounts to that I ended up having to pull (bend) a tiny bit to get the assembly out, but it didn't cause any reassembly problems later.
    In my 02 WRX, the part of the metal brace which the blue and black electrical connectors are attached to can be removed. Using 10mm socket, remove the nut that secures the metal holder. If you remove the metal holder, it will expose another nut. Removing this nut and the will give you enough room to remove the blower without bending the brace.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123