Maximum miles on WRX (kind of long)
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Maximum miles on WRX (kind of long) within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've been looking to purchase probably an 03 WRX and of course mileage comes into play. I'm definitely looking to ...

Question Maximum miles on WRX (kind of long)

I've been looking to purchase probably an 03 WRX and of course mileage comes into play. I'm definitely looking to buy one to be able to do some mods...either tuning and exhaust, or even swap the stock turbo for a deadbolt 16g or an 18g. I've been looking around here for a few months and I haven't yet found a thread stating how many miles these cars can handle some stress. I know that the transmission goes a little easier then the motor, and of course I'm not asking if I beat on it how long will it last. I'm just curious though, would it make sense to buy a bugeye with about 60k miles on it, looking to put some more power to the wheels? Of course it depends on how the previous owner treated it, but is it common for these cars to handle 250-280 to the wheels (treated well of course), somewhere close to the 100k mark? Any info on that would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Any info would be helpful...personal experience, things you heard, what shops told you, even dealers.

You definitely want to do a compression check to make sure all cylinders are good before you do anything like that. Personally, I'll be looking for a high mileage car with a blown motor that I can buy cheaply so I can build it the way I want it.
    My water heater has a blow off valve.

I understand your reasoning...and I actually thought about the blown motor, but at the same time, I don't think it would be worth it. If the motor is blown then most likely the car was run hard...too hard. And even if the motor is built, the transmission would most likely be shot, and I wouldn't make power down anyway. But more then looking for a blown motor, I was more curious about the longjevity of the motor/tranny with stock pistons/rods/gears the whole deal, with higher miles. Thanks for the help, keep it comming.

Corey

Quote Originally Posted by coreman
    If the motor is blown then most likely the car was run hard...too hard. And even if the motor is built, the transmission would most likely be shot, and I wouldn't make power down anyway.
    Corey
    Well, yeah, you're right, but I have plans for the trans and rear diff, too, as well as just about every moving part. So, a blown engine or tranny doesn't really cause me any concern.

But back to your topic. How long do you plan to keep it? If you buy something in the under 60K mile range, you'll probably be safe with your mods as long as the compression is good. I think that there are plenty of 02 and 03 models that can be had with a lot less than 60K miles. I got my 02 with 45K or so and I plan on keeping it for a long time. So far, my mods are a turbo-back exhaust, header, up-pipe, and short-ram intake (most of the mods were there when I bought it). I plan on a couple of other things and a tune (if I don't find a cheap Wagon to go crazy on). I don't think the mods you are talking about are crazy, so they should be OK on a car with the kind of mileage you're talking about.
    My water heater has a blow off valve.

that's the thing. I could either try and buy an 04 and up and spend the majority of what I have on the car, or I could go for a bugeye with more miles and have some fun right away. Of course the majority would say that the newer car would be better, but obviously you get what you pay for. That's why if I whent the cheeper route, I was curious how long the car should last. I don't drive that often to be honest. I have a 2003.5 MazdaSpeed Protege that I put 6k miles on in a year. Now I'm selling that to purchase the WRX. So I'd plan on keeping the car for at least 2 or 3 years (of course that might change), but I'm hoping to find some info on the cars with more miles because I'm sure at some point I'll get there. Going from a car with 29k miles to 60k bothers me a little though. It's just been dificult recently to find a good deal on a WRX in South Florida...since there aren't that many to begin with. I hate to admit it, but my friend has a GTI and despite my love of the WRX (for years), looking at those GTI's on the forums makes me almost want to just go that route to make it easy on myself. I guess we'll find out in a little bit. (help to talk me out of it ) Thanks for the replies so far, hope to keep them going.

Corey

I'm curious about this type of question also. I am looking at a 2002 WRX with 62,000 miles. The owner has kept it in good shape, regularly changed the oil with synthetic, etc etc. Has an aftermarket exhaust and blowoff valve. Do you guys think there will be problems with a car like this? It drove very nicely, but this is the first I've really looked at these cars.

As long as the car is well-maintained and not overly abused, it will last a long time. I have a bug-eye 02 WRX with basic bolt-ons (uppipe, TBE, Profec B, etc.) that has performed beautifully. The only problem so far is a non-functioning A/C, but that will be repaired soon. I commute over 130 miles a day, 5 days a week, to work and back. The car has been to the drag strip quite a few times. It now has over 164,000 miles since bought new in Oct. 2001, and is still riding on the stock clutch, trans., struts, fuel system.....everything is stock except the few mods. The bug-eye is a great car, but just be weary of the previous owner if you plan to purchase one with very many miles. I hope this info helps.

Quote Originally Posted by HRTATAK
    As long as the car is well-maintained and not overly abused, it will last a long time. I have a bug-eye 02 WRX with basic bolt-ons (uppipe, TBE, Profec B, etc.) that has performed beautifully. The only problem so far is a non-functioning A/C, but that will be repaired soon. I commute over 130 miles a day, 5 days a week, to work and back. The car has been to the drag strip quite a few times. It now has over 164,000 miles since bought new in Oct. 2001, and is still riding on the stock clutch, trans., struts, fuel system.....everything is stock except the few mods. The bug-eye is a great car, but just be weary of the previous owner if you plan to purchase one with very many miles. I hope this info helps.
    wow I had no idea these cars were going to be that good in the high mileage. I drive about 50 miles a day to class and work, and on the weekends of course I'll be out joyriding and probably do some autocross. I think I'm going to pick up the one I looked at

Quote Originally Posted by coreman
    that's the thing. I could either try and buy an 04 and up and spend the majority of what I have on the car, or I could go for a bugeye with more miles and have some fun right away. Of course the majority would say that the newer car would be better, but obviously you get what you pay for. That's why if I whent the cheeper route, I was curious how long the car should last. I don't drive that often to be honest. I have a 2003.5 MazdaSpeed Protege that I put 6k miles on in a year. Now I'm selling that to purchase the WRX. So I'd plan on keeping the car for at least 2 or 3 years (of course that might change), but I'm hoping to find some info on the cars with more miles because I'm sure at some point I'll get there. Going from a car with 29k miles to 60k bothers me a little though. It's just been dificult recently to find a good deal on a WRX in South Florida...since there aren't that many to begin with. I hate to admit it, but my friend has a GTI and despite my love of the WRX (for years), looking at those GTI's on the forums makes me almost want to just go that route to make it easy on myself. I guess we'll find out in a little bit. (help to talk me out of it ) Thanks for the replies so far, hope to keep them going.

Corey
    i just bought my 02 bugeye with 30k miles, they're out there bro

He's right. It definitely depends on the previous owner. I bought my 02 WRX with 50k and it runs (probably) as smooth as it did the day it rolled of the shop floor. The only thing I've had to repair is the A/C. It all depends on how you treat your car. I baby it and drive about 50 miles/day and plan on putting at least another 100k on it. However, at the same time, a friend of mine drives his car (exact same car almost) like a bat-outta-hell and his clutch is already shot with only 45k.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.