Fram Air Hog?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Fram Air Hog? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey I read on here how everyone is against the K&N filters due to the wetness of them but has ...

Fram Air Hog?

Hey I read on here how everyone is against the K&N filters due to the wetness of them but has anyone tried the Fram Air Hog? I read where it is just washable but you dont put any lubricant back on it. Just curious.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by bikefreax
    Hey I read on here how everyone is against the K&N filters due to the wetness of them but has anyone tried the Fram Air Hog? I read where it is just washable but you dont put any lubricant back on it. Just curious.
    I believe it is pretty much the same as a K&N... Please correct me if I am wrong...
    New England F4
    Bugeye Mafia
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500
    03 Subaru WRX (SOLD)
    01 CBR 929 (SOLD)
    Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    nothing funny about stubble on the man-marbles.

Quote Originally Posted by Jje121
    I believe it is pretty much the same as a K&N... Please correct me if I am wrong...

The box did not say anything about a recharger kit to clean. It just said you wash it which I am assuming you do not oil it.

I work at an autoparts store and I believe we do sell a recharger kit.. I can check tomorrow. I have a K&N and I don't have any complaints. You just have to make sure that you don't put to much oil it...

Edit: They are both around the same price too...
    New England F4
    Bugeye Mafia
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500
    03 Subaru WRX (SOLD)
    01 CBR 929 (SOLD)
    nothing funny about stubble on the man-marbles.

is the same as a k&n, except its orange and not red, and yes they sell a cleaning kit, you have to use oil on them because that is what traps and filters the dirt out, without it the filter (cotton) would be too porous, just be careful of over spray and saturation of oil, and check and clean your maf sensor( MAF sensor cleaner) when it gets dirty
    14.160@96.011
    90 degree weather
    airhog, removed silencer, and removed stock catback exhaust (stock DPs in place) and craptacular california 91 octane piss water

There are indepth analyses of Fram oil filters floating around on the web. Nothing made by Fram will ever touch a car I own.
    "..are wont to seize upon people about the beginning of Autumn; and sometimes also sooner, according to the temper of the foregoing Summer, whether they had been hotter, or cooler: & they some years rage so violently, as that they last the greatest part of the said seasons, miserably afflicting people all that while, and destroying many of them - Exterminated by the Bloody Flux
    Dysentery in Eighteenth-Century Naval and Military Medical Accounts
    "

Quote Originally Posted by cyrilgrey
    There are indepth analyses of Fram oil filters floating around on the web. Nothing made by Fram will ever touch a car I own.
    +1

Also.. K&N filter can not only foul your MAF, but they don't filter so good either. But they have a hellova marketing program

I have had a K+N in my car for 100k miles. I pulled the manifold about 3 weeks ago to do the TGV delete and discovered that the manifold, valves and the i ntake ports on the heads are clean shiny and look brand new. never had a problem with my MAF either. I've recharged the filter twice...still no problems. Read the directions. follow them.

the dirtier the filter gets, the better it works. NO NOT clean it because it "looks" dirty. The dirt is part of the filter.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

I have had a K+N in my car for 100k miles. I pulled the manifold about 3 weeks ago to do the TGV delete and discovered that the manifold, valves and the i ntake ports on the heads are clean shiny and look brand new. never had a problem with my MAF either. I've recharged the filter twice...still no problems. Read the directions. follow them.

the dirtier the filter gets, the better it works. NO NOT clean it because it "looks" dirty. The dirt is part of the filter.
    +1 one that i went to tour K&N facility because of SAE i got to see what K&N research do. And no the Air filter do not foul the MAF K&N tested that it is the manufacture who poorly design the MAF's. K&N not only develop there own filter but they go out and buy other manufacture air filters too and see how they are doing. They do alot of dyno testing to make sure the MAF readings are correct and doesnt harm it at all. The Fram Air hogs are very identical to the K&N filters. Just they use diffrent oil. The oiling of the filters is very important that is were it helps capture dust particles. One reason why K&N filters are Red is because of the oil they are using, originally they're white because it made of a cotton material. o yeah when the filter gets really dirty after a period of time and when u use the recharger kit to clean it the filter gets better because under microscopic view u can see little strands of cotton spliting all over the place because of the cleaning. It captures dirty more and there not a huge diffrent in air flow very tiny. SORRIE this is alot >_<!
    Last edited by dragonwrx1; 05-15-2006 at 12:35 AM.
    "Love each other or perish" Morrie Schwartz
    "The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love, and to let it come in." Morrie Schwartz
    06 crystal grey metallic wrx wagon SOCAL F4 #24
    MY SPACE! Hawk-Eye Alliance #039
    Originally Posted by Speedette
    "modding is a disease...but a positive disease, like Chlamydia!"

For those of you that say the K&N style filter suck, what do you suggest?

Quote Originally Posted by Slide
    For those of you that say the K&N style filter suck, what do you suggest?
    filter? FILTER!!!??? we don't need no stinkin filter!
    go f*** yourself

Quote Originally Posted by dragonwrx1
    One reason why K&N filters are Red is because of the oil they are using
    they put a red dye in the oil so you can see it when you're re-oiling the filter. that way you can make sure you don't miss a spot and get an even coat over the whole area...also, you should only oil the OUTSIDE surface of the filter (the input side, NOT the outpus side) to avoid getting oil on the sensor.
    go f*** yourself

AND ALWAYS LET IT DRY FOR ALOT LONGER THAN IT SAYS!!!!!!!!! I didnt do that on my Matrix XRS back in the day... I had an Injen CAI with a K&N filter, I cleaned the filter and waited about double whatever it said, put it back on and started the car, then it bogged out real quick, it fouled the MAF, and after a day of driving it "trying to clean out the engine" It fouled the cat/midpipe. So I took of the intake and took the car in to the dealership, where I had a warranty replaced MAF and Mid/catpipe, it would have cost me over a grand.... So yeah lighly oil and let dry for a while.

On a second note I had the Fram Air hog in my WRX when I did the Resonator Delete Mod, the first week I had the car, and I noticed a huge difference! Just save your money and buy a Short ram....
    04 Java Black Pearl - Sleek Eye

All you see is my license plate... SCOOBY-X

Quote Originally Posted by GOD The Almighty
    Patrick, you are a complete accident

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by scooby-x
    AND ALWAYS LET IT DRY FOR ALOT LONGER THAN IT SAYS!!!!!!!!! I didnt do that on my Matrix XRS back in the day... I had an Injen CAI with a K&N filter, I cleaned the filter and waited about double whatever it said, put it back on and started the car, then it bogged out real quick, it fouled the MAF, and after a day of driving it "trying to clean out the engine" It fouled the cat/midpipe. So I took of the intake and took the car in to the dealership, where I had a warranty replaced MAF and Mid/catpipe, it would have cost me over a grand.... So yeah lighly oil and let dry for a while.

On a second note I had the Fram Air hog in my WRX when I did the Resonator Delete Mod, the first week I had the car, and I noticed a huge difference! Just save your money and buy a Short ram....
    Most people also tend to over oil the filter. It only needs a light coat.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    Most people also tend to over oil the filter. It only needs a light coat.

Yeah thats what I did... and it never dried enough. My dad's most famous line, that I heard 10 times a day actually played true again... MORE ISNT ALWAYS BETTER. Dam him and his wisdom
    04 Java Black Pearl - Sleek Eye

All you see is my license plate... SCOOBY-X

Quote Originally Posted by GOD The Almighty
    Patrick, you are a complete accident

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.