Fram Air Hog? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Fram Air Hog? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; yeah, you have to give the oil enough time to absorb into the fibers, and before you oil the filter ...

yeah, you have to give the oil enough time to absorb into the fibers, and before you oil the filter make sure its dry (because you just washed it and its soaked with water!)...if the fibers are still wet...water and oil don't mix, and water is heavier so it will displace the oil (or keep it from getting into the fibers) and the oil will just float on top of the water. Then, once you coat a water-logged filter with oil, the oil will keep the water from evaporating so fast, and it takes even longer.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    yeah, you have to give the oil enough time to absorb into the fibers, and before you oil the filter make sure its dry (because you just washed it and its soaked with water!)...if the fibers are still wet...water and oil don't mix, and water is heavier so it will displace the oil (or keep it from getting into the fibers) and the oil will just float on top of the water. Then, once you coat a water-logged filter with oil, the oil will keep the water from evaporating so fast, and it takes even longer.
    We clean the racecar filter every three races. We pull it off and wash it on Monday night, we oil it on Wednesday night, and we install it on Friday night.

K&N is used on so many race cars, its not even funny... but I think its more a case of availability and variety of sizes. On that note, FRAM is also used on a lot of race cars. Anyways, the AirHog is just a wanna-be K&N for a little less money.

I've had K&N, FRAM AirHog, FRAM cheapy paper, HKS, and of course stock. I can't say I felt a difference, but I know I never had the K&N or AirHog properly dry before applying the oil. It seems you really must let it dry for a lot longer than they say. I just felt better running a dry filter, like stock, HKS or even the cheap FRAM one.

I've since purchased an intake... and its a BLITZ Stainless Steal one, so never do I have to replace it. Just blow it out with air and its good.
    Yes, that is me in my avatar! Kid's don't try this at home.
    CLICKY to view My Extensive Mod List!

*hint*

a couple of minutes with a hair dryer works wonders.
    go f*** yourself

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    *hint*

a couple of minutes with a hair dryer works wonders.
    IMO not good enough for a 20k boutique built race engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    agreed, but it does speed things up a bit if you have to drive to work the next day.
    go f*** yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    not good enough, period.

my switching to a stainless steel filter has lifted a huge load off my head. never having to wash and oil a filter again!
    Yes, that is me in my avatar! Kid's don't try this at home.
    CLICKY to view My Extensive Mod List!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SonicYellowWRX
    not good enough, period.

my switching to a stainless steel filter has lifted a huge load off my head. never having to wash and oil a filter again!
    I don't like steel mesh filters at all. They let WAY too much dirt in.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.